AP, CLEP, and Transfer Credit

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Confirmation of AP Credit can be obtained in Wingspan under "Transfer Credit" or through the Office of Records and Registration in 126 Tillman Hall. AP scores must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions. Students successfully completing Advanced Placement courses and receiving a score of three or above on the exam shall receive credit for the appropriate Winthrop course. For a listing of acceptable AP Exams and required scores, please visit the Office of Admissions website.


College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit 

There are two types of CLEP examinations: the General Examination and the Subject Examination. Winthrop University grants credit only for the Subject Examinations, which are designed to exempt specific encourages students to take CLEP Subject Examinations for credit in subjects or areas which they have mastered through previous study, purposeful reading, travel, or other experiences. Students interested in foreign language exemptions are advised to take the CLEP Subject Examination in the desired language. (Please note, the Department of World Languages and Cultures gives departmental credit to students who complete certain courses with a grade of B or better. Visit their website for more information.)

Interested students may speak with their advisor, Student Services Office for their college, or department chair regarding intended test. More information can be found below.

    The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) gives students the opportunity to receive college credit for what they already know through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, cultural pursuits, or Life experiences by earning qualifying scores on any of the many examinations. Visit the College Board CLEP website to find a testing center and register for exams.

    Please note that Winthrop University does not award credit for all CLEP examinations. Prior to registering for any CLEP test, students are encouraged to speak with their advisor, Student Services personnel for their major, or department chair regarding intended test.

    Candidates seeking course-equivalent credit from Winthrop University must request that official CLEP score reports be sent to the Office of Records and Registration at Winthrop University. Winthrop University uses the American Council on Education (ACE) score on the examinee's official score report to determine whether credit is awarded.

    Visit the College Board CLEP website to find a test center. The College Board now offers the option to take a CLEP Exam at home.

    Test credit is applied according to the published policy at the time the exam is administered and of the date the official CLEP score report transcript is received by the university. Per University Policy, no more than 30 semester hours may be earned through credit-by-examination and no grades are given for semester hours earned through credit-by-examination.

    Retest Policy

    CLEP examination on the same subject may not be retaken within a 3-month period. This waiting period provides the student with an opportunity to spend additional time preparing for the exam or the option of taking a classroom course.

    Score Reports

    A score recipient (college, employer, or certifying agency) that is selected through the software on the day of the exam is sent an official score report one time free of charge. A candidate may request additional CLEP transcripts for a fee by contacting College Board/CLEP directly. Please allow 12-15 business days from the date of request through College Board/CLEP for the score recipient to receive the transcript. Only official score reports will be assessed for credit.

    Winthrop University will award CLEP credit for qualifying scores on those tests listed below.

    Subject Exam

    Credit Hours

    Winthrop Course Equivalent

    Principles of Management


    MGMT 321

    Principles of Marketing


    MKTG 380

    Principles of Macroeconomics


    ECON 216

    Principles of Microeconomics


    ECON 215

    Financial Accounting


    ACCT 280

    Introductory Business Law


    BADM 250

    Analyzing and Interpreting Literature


    ENGL 199

    American Literature


    ENGL 211



    BIOL 150



    CHEM 104

    Western Civilization I


    HISP 199

    Western Civilization II


    HISP 199

    American Government


    PLSC 201

    History of the United States I


    HIST 211

    History of the United States II


    HIST 212



    HUMA 199

    College Algebra


    MATH 151

    College Mathematics


    MATH 150



    MATH 101



    MATH 201

    Introductory Psychology


    PSYC 101

    Human Growth and Development


    PSYC 206

    Natural Sciences


    SCIE 199

    Introductory Sociology


    SOCL 201

    Social Sciences and History


    SOSC 199

    French Language


    FREN 101, 102


    FREN 101, 102, 201

    German Language


    GERM 101, 102


    GERM 101, 102, 201

    Spanish Language


    SPAN 101, 102


    SPAN 101, 102, 201

    College Composition


    WRIT 101


    Transfer Credit 

    Transfer Credit is determined by the academic unit in which the student enrolls. Additional information regarding the Transfer Credit Policy and transferrable courses can be found below

      Winthrop University, in general, accepts transfer course credit from other institutions of higher education under the following conditions:

      1. The course work must have been taken at an institution that is accredited by the commission on colleges of a regional accreditation agency.

      2. The subject matter and the level of the course must be appropriate to Winthrop's general education curriculum or the program into which the student is transferring.

      3. The grade that is received for the course must be at least a C- or a grade with a minimum level equivalent to a C-.

      The individual college at Winthrop makes the final determination of the applicability of the accepted credit to the student's degree program. A transfer student must earn a minimum of 25% of the semester hours required for a degree (30 hours in a 120-hour program) at Winthrop to complete requirements for an undergraduate degree. (See Residence Requirements.) The degree must include 40 hours above the 299 level.

      Transfer credit is not used in computing a student's grade-point average at Winthrop. However, it is used in computing eligibility for academic honors and the LIFE Scholarship.

      Winthrop University will award 2 hours of credit (Physical Education Elective) for completion of Basic Training.  In order to obtain credit, new students must submit a DD-214 form or DD-2586 form to Office of Admissions. Currently enrolled students should submit the form to Records and Registration.

      Students who have taken military course work and who wish for that course work to be evaluated for transfer credit to Winthrop University, should request that an official transcript be mailed to the Office of Admissions (new students) or Records and Registration (continuing students).   The office of student services in the applicable college will evaluate military credit using the current edition of Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces.  The academic college will make the final determination on the applicability of the acceptable credit the students degree program.
      Winthrop University will consider professional certification credit using the recommendations of the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (CREDIT).

      Transfer Articulation refers to the process by which Winthrop University compares the content of courses that are completed and transferred from another institution. The evaluation of transfer credit is conducted by the Student Services offices in the College of Arts and SciencesCollege of Business and Technology, the Richard W. Riley College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences, and the College of Visual and Performing Arts.


      South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center Search for Course Equivalencies

      Use this tool to search the South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center to see the Winthrop equivalent of courses taken at other institutions.

      South Carolina Technical College Articulation

      The Transfer Articulation table is accessible in Portable Document Format (PDF - 239 KB). In order to download and view the files, you need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. To obtain the Acrobat Reader software, please visit Adobe's website. The Statewide Articulation Agreement of 86 courses approved by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education for Transfer from two- to four-year institutions will be applicable to all public institutions, including two-year institutions and institutions within the same system.

      Transfer Agreements

      Winthrop University has formal transfer agreements with the following institution:

      •  York Technical College

      South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center

      Students can view all of Winthrop University's Transfer Agreements as well as transfer course equivalencies for all South Carolina institutions. Click here to view these agreements. For more information about Transfer Admission Requirements, click here.

      Click Here for more information on Transfer Admission Requirements