Winthrop University: Records & Registration - Registration FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

If I have Wingspan login problems, what should I do?  

Contact the IT Helpdesk at 803-323-2400 with any username or password problems.

Wingspan is compatible with recent versions of most popular web browsers, including Edge, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. 

What if I have a HOLD on my account?  

If you have a hold on your account, you will need to go to the appropriate office and make arrangements with them to have it removed.

Offices that often place holds:

Student Financial Services, 21 Tillman Hall, 803-323-2165 
Health Services, 224 Crawford, 803-323-2206

Records and Registration, 126 Tillman, 803-323-2194

Academic Success Center, Dinkins Hall, 803-323-3929

What offices can I contact for help?  

For problems regarding Financial Aid, call (803) 323-2189 or send an email to
For problems regarding your Account Balance, call (803) 323-2165 or send an email to 
For problems or comments regarding Student Records, Registration, grades or Personal Info, call (803) 323-2194 or send an e-mail to 

When can I register?  

Registration for Spring 2020 begins Wednesday, November 6, 2019  and will continue through January 17, 2020.  Undergraduates, check the online Time Assignment Chart for early registration details. 

Where can I register?  

You may use any computer that provides Internet access.  Computer terminals and computer labs are available in various locations across campus. There are also computers available in the Records and Registration Office, 126 Tillman Hall. 

Can I change my schedule after I have it printed? 

Yes, you may make changes to your schedule until the end of the add/drop period.

What if I miss my scheduled registration time?  

If you miss your scheduled time, you may register any time after that time. 

What if I do not get advised?  

If you do not get advised, you will not be able to register. Your advisor must confirm your advising through their Wingspan account. You must meet with an advisor prior to your registration for fall or spring semesters.  Advising is not required to register for summer session courses. 

What if I need to get into a class and it is closed? How do I get an override?  

You will need to get the permission of the appropriate Department Chair. Click here for the override request site.

What if I need to take more than 12 (Graduate Students) or 18 (Undergraduate Students) credit hours?  

If you are an undergraduate student and have a cumulative 3.0 GPA at the end of the semester, you may register for up to 21 hours. If you do not have a 3.0, you must file an undergraduate petition (pdf file). Students who are in their last semester prior to graduation may obtain permission from their dean to overload. Graduate students must have the approval of their academic dean. The overload form can be found here.

What happens if I do not pay my bill by the due date?  

Students who do not pay their fees or make payment arrangements through the Cashier's office are subject to having their schedules dropped.  For more information, visit the  Cashier's office website.

Last Updated: 12/10/19