Winthrop University: Records & Registration - Petitions for Academically Suspended or Dismissed Students

Dear Petitioner,

If you are a student who is petitioning suspension, you must first set up an appointment with Dr. Gloria Jones, our Student Advocate, by e-mailing her at or by calling the Dean of Students office at 803/323-4503. As you get ready for your meeting with her and consider the contents of the justification/explanation that must accompany your petition, we ask that you thoughfully reflect on the following:

  1. Do I need to address the number of academic hours I will enroll in? (Some students who have a low GPA might be able to improve it by gradually increasing their load, but start with only two courses.)
  2. Have I been involved in too many hours of off-campus work to be able to concentrate on my academic requirements?
  3. Am I in the right major? (Some students are perhaps overlooking the obvious. With poor grades in classes required of their major, while having much better grades in other classes, it sometimes suggests a reconsideration of the direction being taken.)
  4. Have I discussed my difficulties with anyone on campus? Should I seek the proper resources (a faculty mentor, the counseling center, a student services staff person, an academic advisor) to help develop a better strategy for succeeding with my goals?
  5. Do I have clear goals for my academic career? If not, should I discuss my options with someone on campus?
  6. Is my program of studies able to be accomplished in the 4 years I originally planned? (Significant off campus commitments such as work or family may require a student to take longer than four years to complete a degree.)
  7. Am I focused on my academic priorities? (Students often join time-consuming organizations which interrupt their ability to give the necessary time to studies.)

Student Services (Director per College)   

  • Arts and Sciences: Dr. Adria Belk, 106 Kinard Hall, 803/323-2183
  • Business Administration: Ms. Vanessa Valdez, 225 Thurmond Building, 803/323-4833
  • Education: Ms. Joanna Harris, 144 Withers Building, 803/323-4750
  • Visual and Performing Arts: Ms. Anna Fredericks, 124 McLaurin Hall, 803/323-2465

Ask your academic advisor or Student Services Director whether additional resources are available to assist you with courses in your major.


The Undergraduate Petitions Committee  


The petition for academically suspended or dismissed student is found here.


Last Updated: 5/23/23