Applying for Aid

Transient Students

Transient Student Definition

There are two types of transient students:

  • A degree-seeking Winthrop student (undergraduate or graduate) who wishes to take courses at another institution while also taking Winthrop courses at the same time.
  • A degree-seeking student at another institution who wishes to take classes at Winthrop.
  •  Students who fall into this category should contact the Financial Aid Office at their home institution to find out if financial aid is available. The information listed in this policy only applies to degree-seeking Winthrop students.

Financial Aid Eligibility

Degree-seeking Winthrop students, who are taking at least one credit hour of Winthrop coursework in fall term or spring term while taking classes at another institution, may still be eligible for financial aid. If student completes all the necessary paperwork, the Office of Financial Aid will determine if student is taking enough credit hours to qualify for financial aid. Courses at the other institution must be needed for the student’s Winthrop degree.

Financial aid is not available for transient students during summer sessions.

Types of Financial Aid

The only types of financial aid available for transient students are Pell Grants, Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, Parent PLUS Loans, Graduate PLUS loans, and private loans. All federal, state, and institutional requirements still apply to transient students. Each financial aid program has its own set of qualifications. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Required Documentation

Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid to request the Transient Request form. Students will also need to submit to the Office of Financial Aid the following information:

  • Winthrop's Approval To Transfer Credit Form
  • A copy of the student’s course schedule from the other institution student is attending (courses must match the courses listed on the Approval To Transfer Credit Form
  • A copy of the student’s bill from the other institution student is attending.

Additional Information

Once a student’s paperwork is complete, the Office of Financial Aid will send a Consortium Agreement to the other institution to complete.

At the end of the term, it is the student’s responsibility to make sure the Office of Financial Aid receives an unofficial copy of grades from the other institution within 30 days of Winthrop’s end of term so the Office of Financial Aid can ensure that student completed the class(es) as required by federal regulations.

Courses taken at other institutions do not count towards a student’s Winthrop cumulative GPA. If student is a recipient of the HOPE or LIFE state scholarship, courses taken at other institutions do count towards the LIFE GPA.


It is strongly recommended that students submit all required transient paperwork by July 15th for the fall term and December 1st for spring term to allow enough time for processing before the term begins. Paperwork will be accepted after this time as long as it is turned in at least three weeks before Winthrop’s term ends, but students should allow 2-4 weeks for processing.

Receiving Financial Aid

A student's financial aid will disburse at the same time as other Winthrop students. Students can check disbursement dates in Wingspan. If student is owed a refund after Winthrop charges are paid, student will be sent a refund by Student Financial Services. It is strongly recommend that students sign up for Direct Deposit to receive their refund quicker.

Payment to Other Institution

It is the STUDENT’S responsibility to make payment for charges to the other institution by their deadline date. If payment is due before student receives their financial aid from Winthrop, it is the STUDENT’S responsibility to make payment arrangements with the other institution.