Types of Financial Aid

Student Employment

On Campus Jobs

      Federal Work-Study Jobs

      Non Work-Study Jobs

Off Campus Jobs

Federal Work-Study Process for Supervisors

Federal Work-Study Jobs for Students

Students who have been awarded work-study (a Federal Work-Study (FWS) award would appear in your financial aid awards in Wingspan) are responsible for finding a FWS position. Students can search for FWS jobs through the HR job posting website. Make sure to choose Federal Work Study as the Student Position Type before selecting the search button. Most departments begin advertising work-study jobs in late summer.

You will be required to submit proof of your FWS award while applying for FWS jobs. We recommend you take a picture/screen shot of your Wingspan financial aid awards so you can upload it during the application process. Or you can save it as a PDF to your computer and upload the PDF. Students who do not secure a FWS position will have their FWS financial aid award canceled.

Students earn an hourly wage in the FWS program. Wages and work schedule are determined by the hiring department; however, students must be paid at least federal minimum wage. Students are not permitted to work while their classes are in session. The amount students earn cannot exceed the FWS award. In the event that a student earns more than the FWS award, the funds earned that exceeded the award amount will be charged to the employing department's budget. Students are paid bi-monthly. Students will receive a paper paycheck unless they choose to sign up for direct deposit.  Students should discuss paycheck options with their supervisors.

FWS provides part-time jobs to students with financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Priority is given to students with high financial need who submit their FAFSA by November 1 and indicate their interest in work-study on the FAFSA. Due to limited funding, returning students who previously received work-study cannot be guaranteed work-study funding each year. Eligible students who do not initially receive a FWS award can ask to be placed on a wait list by contacting the Office of Financial Aid. Remaining funds, if any, are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to students on the wait list.

Non Work-Study Jobs

Students can search for on-campus jobs through the HR job posting website. For jobs that are marked as Federal Work Study, only students who have been awarded Federal Work-Study can apply for these jobs.

Off Campus Jobs for Students

The Center for Career Development and Internships (CDI) can help. The CDI posts positions through an online jobsite: Handshake. You can also schedule an appointment with a CDI staff member who can assist you with searching and applying for part-time jobs by calling 803/323-2141.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Process for Supervisors

Departments who want to advertise a Federal Work-Study (FWS) position must do so through the HR job posting website.  Assistance for posting a position should be directed to HR.

Please view a Power Point presentation (pdf - 525 KB) for general information regarding Federal Work-Study student employment.