Registration - How to Register


How to Register with OA

Students who would like to receive accommodations from the Office of Accessibility (OA) will need to officially register for services and accommodations. The registration process is as follows:

Complete the New OA Accommodations Request Form.

Upload any documentation that verifies your disability/condition. If you do not have any documentation or paperwork, you may download a Disability Verification Form (PDF-158KB) to be completed by your treating specialist (Note: Do not use this form for requests for Emotional Support Animals, Housing, nor Meal Plan Accommodations. You must contact OA for forms specific to these requests). This documentation will need to be uploaded when you complete your application. If you run into any problems with the file upload page, please contact OA.

Check your Winthrop email. Once OA has the application AND documentation you will receive confirmation by OA to your Winthrop email which will instruct you to contact OA to schedule your intake appointment. 

NOTE:  To ensure that you do not miss important emails from OA, we encourage you to either (1) add the domain "" to your safe sender list (click here for Outlook 365 instructions), or (2) regularly check your junk mail folder.


Should I Register?

There are many reasons college students with disabilities might decide they don't need disability services, and it's your right to not use the services office on campus.  But it's also in your best interest to make an informed decision.  Here are some reasons why students often don't want to use disability services, and some considerations to help you think about your options.

"I don't want professors to know I have a mental health condition or [fill in the blank with another type of disability] - they might treat me differently, expect less of me, or put me in different courses."

  • Under Confidentiality laws, the Disability Resource Center can't tell professors about your diagnosis or disability without your permission, and even though you may decide to share information with them, professors should never see disability documentation from your doctor or start asking questions and details about your disability (unless you started the conversation)
  • If you think students with disabilities are getting an easier course-load, check out the facts laid out by SUNY Empire State College

"I am not disabled."

​"I'll just wait and register when I need the services."

  • This is pretty common among first-year undergrads and grad students.  For example, many students with diabetes don't need services right away, so see what the College Diabetes Network has to say about whether or not to register early (with applications to all students).

"I'll work out my accommodations for myself with my instructors because it's easier/it's a political statement/I'm independent."

  • Professors will usually not give you any accommodations unless you're registered at disability services.  Learn more about the roles and responsibilities of students and faculty.
  • If it's about being independent, check out definitions of independence as what people with disabilities can do with supports - the foundation of the Independent Living Movement, developed by a man named Ed Roberts while he attended UC-Berkeley

"All my needs are being met through health services or counseling services."

  • That's great - but remember that the Disability Resource Center is the only office that is usually authorized to negotiate accommodations with professors.  They are supposed to work with health services, counseling services, and other offices on campus.  So if you might be in the hospital, need academic or course adjustments, or require someone to negotiate with professors, it might be useful to register with disability services.  Here's what one student had to say about how Counseling services and Disability Services worked together.

"I've heard our campus disability services office is really bad and probably won't help me."

"I really-truly-honestly don't need any accommodations or services!"

If your disability is really mild, temporary, or doesn't require any services or accommodations, then you're probably right - there's no reason to register with the Disability Resource Center!  However, know that the Disability Resource Center is not just about accommodations and services. Their role includes ensuring the rights of disabled students from discrimination. 

If you register with the Disability Resource Center, even if you all agree that you don't need services, you can call upon them in the event an instructor, staff person, internship site or others try to discriminate against you just for having a disability. 

Another bonus for the campus is that the Disability Resource Center can count you (anonymously) when it writes its annual report to the campus administration. They'll  be able to say, "Yes, we do have X number of disabled students on campus," That ends up helping everyone.

Information taken from: The National Center for College Students with Disabilities (NCCSD) which is funded through a four-year grant from the Office of Postsecondary Education, U.S. Department of Education (P116D150005), and administered through the Office for Postsecondary Education (originally funded via the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education).

Last Updated: 2/4/21