Student Employment

 Effective July 1, 2019, all student employment will be processed via the Applicant Tracking System (ATS).  All available student positions will be posted within the ATS.  Students/applicants will need to create a user account to begin.  Students will be able to search student vacancies by  position type (i.e. work-study, graduate associate/assistant, hourly).

 Student Applicant/Employee Portal

 Department/Employer Posting-Hiring Site

For hiring departments, if you are posting a vacancy or initiating a hiring proposal please refer to our instructional page for more details.

Employee Types

    Employees (not graduate assistants/associates) will be limited to 20 hours of work per week during the school year. If a student has more than one work assignment, the combined limit is a total of 20 hours per week including work performed in all assignments. During the summer (1st full week in May through 3rd full week in August; 17 weeks maximum) student employees (not graduate assistants/associates; see information below regarding graduate assistants/associates) will be allowed to work up to 40 hours per week.

    Employees will be limited to the 20 hours per week associated with the assistantship/associateship and 9 additional hours per week of other campus employment (international students follow "Work Hours Limitation" referred to below). They will also be limited to 29 hours per week for the summer following a school year in which the student was a graduate assistant/associate. For information regarding the process for graduate assistant/associates, please go to The Graduate School website, or call extension #2204.

    If a student is employed through the Federal Work-Study Program, the student will receive a Work-Study Approval e-mail from the Office of Financial Aid.  Students will need to upload a soft copy of this authorization in the ATS along with their application in order to be considered.


    The Applicant Tracking System will not notify the initiator of the I-9 and E-Verify status.  The hiring department should continue to use the I-9 Online Inquiry Database to determine whether a new I-9 is required.

    The completed and signed W-4 forms must be forwarded to Human Resources ONLY

    • if there is not one already on file (the student can check this in Wingspan on the Employee Detail tab in the Tax Forms section) OR
    • if the student wishes to make a change to the existing form.
    • Effective 1/1/20 you must also submit a separate South Carolina W-4 form for new hires or if making any changes.

    All employees receive their payroll via direct deposit to a personal checking or savings account.   For questions regarding the process, please contact Payroll at 803/323-2271.

    Students will select their international status on their application.  It will also give the student the option to identify which type of Visa they have.

      The hiring department will complete the Hiring Proposal and Part II, #14 of the Form 8233. The student should complete Part I and Part II, 11(a) and 11(b) of the Form 8233. The W-4 form should also be completed by the student.

      New student employees, annually, should take the completed Form 8233, the completed W-4, and identification documents to the International Center. To ensure there are no delays, the student should contact the office and make an appointment in advance.

      Once the student arrives with all of the completed forms, the International Center will complete the I-9 on paper. Be sure the student brings the original acceptable documents listed on the I-9. Once the I-9 is complete, the International Center will deliver all of the forms to Student Financial Services who will then complete the remainder of the Form 8233.

      The office of Student Financial Services will attach a soft copy of all forms to the Hiring Proposal for Human Resources (I-9 will need to be sent). 

      A Social Security card is required before a student is allowed to work. If the student does not have a social security card, please contact the International Center immediately for information regarding Social Security Administration's requirements for obtaining a card.

       According to USCIS federal regulations, international students holding an F1 or J1 student visa are only allowed to work on-campus for 20 hours per week (Sunday-Saturday) during the fall and spring semesters.  This limit on the number of hours that they can work is inclusive of any work undertaken pursuant to that employment under a scholarship, or assistantship, employment in the library, etc.  For example, a student employed 15 hours per week in an assistantship is eligible to work only 5 more hours per week anywhere else under the on-campus provision.  Questions pertaining to the U.S. government regulations of international student employment should be directed to International Center at or 803/232-2133.


To avoid delayed payments, all documentation must be received in HR the 1st day of the month for the student to be paid on the 25th, or the 16th day of the month to be paid on the 10th day of the following month.
All non-exempt students must be paid an hourly rate no less than minimum wage ($7.25 per hour).
All summer positions crossing the fiscal year, will require a new hiring proposal (unless it is paid by a grant and approved in advance).
Summer Employment - Students not enrolled full-time during the summer are subject to federal and state taxes as well as social security related taxes (FICA and Medicare). 
Students graduating in May and continuing employment may remain on the student payroll through May 31.  If the student continues employment after that date a temporary ePAF will need to be generated with the effective date of June 1, with the employee being subject to federal and state taxes as well as social security related taxes.