Winthrop University: Family Programs - Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Information
New Student and Family Programs
248 DiGiorgio Campus Center
Winthrop University
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
E-mail Us

Love Where You’re Going!
Winthrop's Admissions Team is working hard to provide you with options to learn more about Life as an Eagle. Please check our Visit Page to sign up for one of our Virtual Admissions Experiences.

Want a one on one meeting or have any questions? There are three ways you can contact us:
Phone: 803/323-2191
Virtual Chat: Click here to register

For updates, announcements and special messages from Admissions, please follow us on Instagram - @winthropadmissions

New Student and Family Programs


Frequently Asked Questions for Families

The Office of New Student and Family Programs is the centralized resource on campus for parents and family members of Winthrop's undergraduate students. This list of frequently asked questions includes a variety of topics to help answer your questions. If you have other questions or need additional information, please contact our office by calling 803/323-2387 or by e-mailing us at

Academics     Residence Life     Fees and Financial Aid     Commencement
Athletics    Student Life    Health and Wellness     Visiting Campus


May I check my student's grades online?

Students may view and print their final grade report on Wingspan. We encourage you to have a conversation with your student about how you will share this information.

Without a student's written consent, Winthrop cannot release a student's records to parents or guardians, except in one instance: parents or guardians of a student must complete and sign a verification of student status form and file it with the Office of Records and Registration, as well as provide proof that they have claimed the student as a dependent on their last federal income tax return.

For more information about FERPA please visit our website.

Where can my student purchase textbooks?

Students can purchase textbooks online through the Winthrop University Bookstore website or by visiting the Bookstore in person. The Bookstore is located in the DiGiorgio Campus Center.

My student would like some academic assistance

Winthrop University offers outstanding resources free of charge for students seeking academic assistance. The Academic Success Center has programs such as Peer Tutors, House Calls, Workshops, the Writing Center, Math Tutorial Center, and the College of Business Resource Room.

Who is my student's advisor?
Your student can locate the name of his/her academic advisor by logging on to Wingspan and clicking on the "Student" tab on the navigation bar. The names of your student's advisor will be found under "Academic Profile." Advisors are assigned by each college and department on campus so your student can contact them directly as well.

For more Academic information, please visit the links below:
Academic Success Center
Office of Records and Registration
Honors Program
Academic Calendar
Study Abroad
College of Arts and Sciences
College of Business
Richard W. Riley College of Education
College of Visual and Performing Arts
University College

Residence Life

I have a specific question about Residence Life

For questions about Residence Life, visiting the Frequently Asked Questions on the Residence Life page may help you find answers to your housing-related questions. If you still have questions, you can contact the Department of Residence Life at 803/323-2223.

I purchased a care package through the Residence Student's Association for my student, and I have a question about my order.

The Residence Student's Association works through an outside vendor to provide the care package service. Care is the current vendor, and a Care representative will be able to answer your questions about your order. Please visit their website or contact them at 800/892-8741.

Can my student live on campus while enrolled in summer school?

The Department of Residence Life provides on-campus housing at The Courtyard during the summer sessions. Weekly rates are available on their website. If your student is interested in summer housing, please contact The Department of Residence Life at 803/323-2223.

For more Housing information please visit the link below:
Department of Residence Life  

Fees and Financial Aid

I have a specific question about fees and fee payment. When is the deadline for my student to pay his/her fees for the semester?

For complete and up-to-date fees and fee payment information, visit the Student Financial Services website or call their office at 803/323-2165. 

I have a specific question related to registration or Wingspan

To find many answers to your registration and Wingspan-related questions, visit the Office of Records and Registration website or contact their office at 803/323-2194.

How can my student apply for financial aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal FAFSA is the application necessary to apply for federal financial aid at Winthrop University. Students must complete a new FAFSA every year. For more information, visit the Office of Financial Aid website or contact their office at 803/323-2189.

How can my student check his/her financial aid awards?

Students can view their financial aid awards on Wingspan by clicking on the "Financial Aid" tab on the navigation bar. Choose "Financial Aid Menu," select "Award," then "Award for Aid Year" to select the appropriate year from the drop-down box. If your student has been awarded Palmetto Fellows, LIFE, HOPE, or State Need Based Grant, he/she can complete the required certification from this section of Wingspan.

How can my student change his/her permanent address on file with the university?

Your student can change their permanent address by logging in to Wingspan and clicking on the "Student" tab and then "Personal Information Menu."

Where can my student get a "full-time" letter for insurance or loan purposes?

Students may access the National Student Clearinghouse under the "Student" tab and clicking "Enrollment Verification Request." This will allow students to print, free of charge, official enrollment certificates for health insurance or other companies that request proof of enrollment. Students may also obtain a verification letter by going to the Office of Records and Registration in 126 Tillman Hall.

For more Fees and Financial Aid information, please visit the links below:
Office of Financial Aid
Office of Records and Registration
Student Financial Services
Cashier's Office


My student is graduating. How does he/she order announcements, cap and gowns, etc.?

The Winthrop Bookstore is the primary contact for your student's graduation orders. You can contact the Bookstore by calling 803/323-3800.

I have questions about my student's graduation ceremony (date/time/place)

Commencement is held each May and December. Details regarding your student's ceremony can be found on the Office of Records and Registration website.

Do family members and guests need tickets or invitations to attend the commencement exercises?

No, admission tickets or invitations are not usually required. The commencement exercises are open to the public, but each degree seeking candidate is asked to invite no more than six guests to the ceremony due to seating limitations in the Coliseum. Guest seating will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.

My student would like to order the official ring of Winthrop University. How do I order it?

The Winthrop Alumni Association coordinates the sale of the official ring in partnership with Jostens. You can order your official Winthrop University ring on the Jostens website.

For more Commencement information, please visit the links below:
Office of Records and Registration
Winthrop Bookstore
Winthrop Alumni Association


How can my student get tickets to Winthrop sporting events?

Students are able to attend Winthrop sporting events free of charge. In order to attend sporting events, students must provide their Winthrop ID.

How do I attend a sporting event with my student?

Athletic tickets information can be found on the Winthrop Athletics Ticket Information website. All student seating is general admission except for Men's Basketball games.

For more Athletics information, please visit the link below:
Winthrop Athletics

Student Life

Where can I find information about on and off-campus jobs for my student?

Encourage your student to visit the Center for Career Development and Internships website for information on employment and career development. For information about work-study and other positions on campus, encourage your student to visit the Financial Aid website.

My student wants to join a campus organization. Where can he/she go for more information?

Encourage your student to visit the Student Organizations website for information and resources on how to get involved on campus. With over 160 registered student organizations, students are sure to fine one that meets their interestsor they can start their own!

My student lives off-campus. Can he/she purchase an on-campus meal plan?

Yes. Dining Services has a Commuter meal plan which offers a lower buy-in amount, with fewer meals and more Café Cash. Commuters also have the option to choose from the traditional meal plans as well.

What is Café Cash and where can my student use it?

Café Cash is money located on a student's ID. Café Cash is a declining balance that students can use to purchase items at Burger Studio, Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Garnet & Go, The Wedge, Zoca, Jump Asian Express, Eagle Express, Starbucks, Subway, and The Eagle's Nest.

How can I add Café Cash to my students account?

You can add Café Cash to your students account on the Dining Services website. The minimum amount to purchase is $25.

My student wants to study abroad. How can he/she find out more information?

The International Center website offers students information on the programs offered, important deadlines, costs, safety, as well as why study abroad is beneficial to students both personally and professionally.

Does my student need a car? What are the options for parking a car on campus?

Students do not need to bring a car. Most services are very convenient to campus.

Parking options include Resident Student Parking, Commuter Student Parking, Courtyard Parking, and Disabled Parking. If your student does bring a car, he/she must register the car with Campus Police by filling out a Parking Permits Request.

For more Student Life information, please visit the links below:
Division of Student Life
Campus Police
Dining Services
International Center
Center for Career Development and Internships
Student Organizations

Health and Wellness

My student was sick and had to miss several classes. What should he/she do?
Students are expected to contact their instructors to arrange for completion of assignments. If it is an extended illness, contact the Dean of Students Office for help at 803/323-4503. 

The Dean of Students Office will verify information and notify the student's instructors of the need for the absence and assist the student with other referrals.

We had a death in the family, and my student will need to miss several classes to come home. What should he/she do?

Instructors are obligated to provide makeup opportunities only for students who are absent with adequate cause, such as death of an immediate family member. Your student is responsible for providing documentation certifying the legitimacy of the absence to his/her instructor in advance of such absences if possible. In family emergency cases where advance notice is not possible, documentation should be provided to the instructor no later than the date your student returns to class. Contact the Dean of Students Office at 803/323-4503 and they will assist in the process.

I understand Health and Counseling Services closes at 4 p.m. What if my student becomes ill after hours?

Resident students are encouraged to contact their RLC who will help them obtain medical care. In an emergency, students should contact Campus Police who will contact emergency services for students. All students who need medical care can go to any Local Urgent or Emergency Care Center. No appointment is necessary. All charges incurred are the responsibility of the student. For more information please visit the Health and Counseling Services website.

How can my student get vaccinated for meningitis, hepatitis, etc.? How can he/she get a flu shot?

All required immunizations are available at Health Services for a minimal fee. Health Services sponsors a Flu Shot clinic in the fall, usually in October, November or December. If you have questions or need more information, you can call Health Services at 803/323-2206.

My student is feeling anxious/stressed/depressed

Please encourage your student to contact Counseling Services at 803/323-2206. A variety of individual and group sessions are available, as well as many additional services, most of which are included with student fees.

For more Health and Wellness information, please visit the links below:
Dean of Students Office
Health and Counseling Services
Student Attendance Policy
Campus Police

Visiting Campus

How can I arrange a tour of campus?

The week-day campus visit experience includes a student-guided tour and an information session with an admissions counselor. We will also be happy to schedule a classroom-visit or meeting with a faculty member with advanced notice. Tours are offered on Mondays-Fridays at 9:30 a.m. and 2 p. m. and at 9:30 a.m. on select Saturdays throughout the academic year. To schedule a visit, complete our online Campus Visit Request Form.

What hotels are located near campus?

The Office of New Student and Family Programs has a list of several hotels around the Rock Hill area that offer special rates for families of Winthrop students. For a list of these hotels, please click here.

Where can I park when I visit campus?

Visitors to Winthrop University that desire to park on university property must obtain a visitor parking permit for a limited time from Campus Police. Visitor registration for 24 hours or less is free of charge. Visitors remaining on campus overnight and individuals attending conferences and short courses must obtain visitor parking permits through their conference registration or with Campus Police.

For more information on Visiting Campus, please visit the links below:
Visit the Campus

Last Updated: 8/20/20