Travel Funding for English Majors

Undergraduate Students

J. Spratt and Sandra Hagler-White Travel Funding

English Education students smiling on their way to the NCTE conferenceThe J. Spratt and Sandra Hagler-White Endowment provides funding for students majoring in English who are traveling to conferences, lectures, and seminars. Eligible upperclassmen should have at least a 3.0 GPA, and freshmen should have earned a minimum of 1000 on the SAT and graduated in the top 20th percentile of their high school class. Students seeking funding for upcoming travel should fill out the Hagler-White Travel Support Application Form (PDF - 250 KB). Completed applications should be e-mailed to

Application Deadline: First Friday in March


Geraldine Trammell Hurley Fellowship

A student sitting in a cafe in ParisThe Geraldine Trammell Hurley Fellowships for Study and Travel provide financial travel support for undergraduate students majoring in English. This support may be used only for independent study/research undertaken while travelling overseas. Students should design their own travel adventures; the study abroad experience should not involve academic study abroad programs at international institutions. One to four fellowships are awarded each year, depending on the amount of funding requested. Past recipients have used these fellowships, made possible by the generosity of the Hurley family, to conduct independent studies in England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Vietnam, China, and Spain.

Eligible students must be Winthrop University English majors who have not graduated by the time of travel. To apply for the Geraldine Trammell Hurley Fellowships for Study and Travel, you must submit the following information:

  • A cover sheet with your name, telephone number, mailing address, e-mail address, and one or two sentences summarizing your plans for the fellowship;
  • A one-page explanation/justification of the customized study and travel opportunity you wish to pursue; and
  • An estimated budget, showing how much money you will need (including such items as transportation, accommodations and other living expenses, and food).

Students are encouraged to speak with the chair (or with their advisor) while planning their international academic experience. Completed applications should be e-mailed to the department chair, Dr. Amanda Hiner.

Application Deadlines:

  • For travel during spring/summer: Last Friday in October
  • For travel during fall: First Friday in March


Graduate Students

A student reading his work from a lecternThe Department of English is able to offer up to $500 in supplementary travel funds to full- and part-time English M.A. students who are traveling to present papers at conferences thanks to the Lee-Bird Graduate English Travel Fund. Students must apply for other university funding before applying for this fund and must show that the supplemental funds are necessary for travel. To apply, students must complete the Lee-Bird Travel Funding Application (PDF - 123 KB), providing proof of active participation at the conference, giving an estimate of travel costs, and showing that they have first applied for primary funds through the university. The completed form should be e-mailed to