Winthrop University: COE - Student Academic Services (SAS) - Certification

Student Academic Services


What is an Initial License?

All undergraduate teacher education majors/minors and MAT students will receive Initial Licensure in the area of their major/minor (e.g., Elementary Education, Social Studies) at the time of program completion. Student Academic Services will facilitate that process at the time of graduation.

Licensure Grade Levels for South Carolina

SECONDARY 9-12 (Biology, Chemistry, English, Math, Social Studies)
GRADES K-12 (Art, Dance, French, Music, Physical Education, Spanish, Special Education, Theater)

Background Clearance

Internship II Background Check Info (pdf - 419 kb)

South Carolina law requires that all individuals enrolled in a teacher education program in South Carolina must undergo a fingerprint check prior to student teaching. 

Should you have questions about the fingerprinting process, please contact Joanna Harris at 323-4738 or

Testing Requirements

Currently required PRAXIS Subject Area Assessment exams are listed here on the South Carolina Department of Education's website.

Licensure Forms and Information

College Recommendation Form 1 - Classroom Teaching (pdf - 432 kb)
College Recommendation Form 1 - Service and Leadership (pdf - 433 kb)
Transcript Request Form 2 (pdf - 181 kb)
Request for Change/Action Form (pdf - 268 kb)
Frequently Asked Questions (pdf - 645 kb)

What is an Add-on License?

In South Carolina, it is possible to add an additional licensure area by taking specific courses and passing the Praxis Subject Area Assessment examination for that area. In some cases, your program has already integrated the courses that you need for an additional license. The South Carolina requirements for add-on licensure can be found here.

What is the process for adding a licensure area?

Once you have completed the specific courses and tests required for the add-on licensure, you will be able to add areas to your South Carolina license by submitting the following to the South Carolina Department of Education, Office of Educator Services:

  1. Request for Change/Action Form (pdf - 268 kb). Check box #2 and write in the licensure area you wish to add.
  2. Minimum qualifying score(s) on the content-area examination(s) (Praxis Subject Area Assessment) required by the South Carolina State Board of Education. See section above on Testing Requirements.

For additional information, please refer to the South Carolina State Department of Education website for their requirements for add-on licensure.

Last Updated: 8/1/19