Student Academic Services

MAT Accelerated Student Resources

Master of Arts in Teaching

Grades 9-12 (Biology, Chemistry, English, Math, Social Studies)
Grades K-12 (Art, French, Music, Physical Education, Spanish)

MAT Accelerated

Grades 9-12 (Biology, Chemistry, English, Math, Social Studies)
Grades K-12 (Art, Dance, French, Spanish, Theatre)

MAT Admission to Teacher Education

All students seeking to complete a degree which leads to teacher licensure, must be formally admitted to the Teacher Education Program in the College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences. Please find information and procedures for completing the MAT admission application on our MAT Admissions page. In order to apply to the MAT program, students must complete the Teacher Education Program application.

Important Forms and Documents

Unit Standards Framework (pdf - 802 kb)
Dispositions Procedures (pdf - 104 kb)
College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences Forms

PRAXIS Information

Students in the traditional MAT program must achieve the South Carolina passing scores on the PRAXIS Subject Area Assessments before entering the internship. For information about required examinations, click here.

Students in the MAT Accelerated program should have already passed PRAXIS Subject Area Assessments before entering program.


South Carolina uses the ADEPT system to Assist, Develop, and Evaluate Professional Teaching. Please click here to obtain more information.


For information regarding licensure levels in South Carolina and requirements for obtaining licensure in South Carolina, please visit our Licensure page. You may also visit the South Carolina State Department of Education to check your licensure status and for additional information.


The advisor/advisee relationship is a valued experience at Winthrop University. Please visit Student Academic Services' Advising page for additional information. Please click here to view a complete list of graduate advisors in the College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences.

SC Teachers Loan

For information about the SC Teachers Loan, please click here. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office in Sykes House at 638 Oakland Avenue or available to download from the Student Loan Corporation. Section 2 of the application must be completed by the office of Student Academic Services in the 144 Withers. 

Student Learning & Licensure

All students in the Teacher Education undergraduate and graduate programs are required to use Student Learning & Licensure . Student Learning & Licensure is a course management system which contains many features that are helpful to both faculty and students. For general information on using Student Learning & Licensure , please click here. For information about Student Learning & Licensure at Winthrop University, click here

For additional information about the MAT program and other graduate level programs, please visit the CESHS Graduate Student Information page.