Winthrop University: Department of Sociology, Criminology, and Anthropology - Frequently Asked Questions

Love Where You’re Going!
Winthrop's Admissions Team is working hard to provide you with options to learn more about Life as an Eagle. Please check our Visit Page to sign up for one of our Virtual Admissions Experiences.

Want a one on one meeting or have any questions? There are three ways you can contact us:
Phone: 803/323-2191
Virtual Chat: Click here to register

For updates, announcements and special messages from Admissions, please follow us on Instagram - @winthropadmissions

Sociology, Criminology, and Anthropology

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the total number of hours in sociology that will count towards graduation?

    You may take six (6) hours above the major requirements, so thirty-nine (39) is the max (see page 40 in 2008 — 2009 BA degree requirements). Hours above the thirty-nine (39) total in SOCL will not count at all.
  2. What are the courses in the criminal justice program at York Tech that will count toward the Criminology program at Winthrop?

    Technical college
    CRJ 101 - Introduction to Criminal Justice (3)
    CRJ 242 - Correctional Systems (3)
    CRJ 125 - Criminology (3)

    Winthrop University 
    SOCL 227 (3)
    SOCL 337 (3)
    SOCL 199 (3)

    Winthrop's transfer articulation guide will help in the comparison of the content of courses that are completed and transferred from another institution.
  3. Is Political Science 310 (The Judiciary) still required for the concentration in criminology?

    No (see Program Changes & Blanket Petitions). It does not matter what your audit says.
  4. If you have a double major, can you count a course in one major for credit in the other major also?

  5. If you have a double major, do you need a minor?

  6. Can you have more than one minor?

  7. With the changes to the program, what is the minimum grade that I need in SOCL516 (research methods 2) to receive my degree in sociology?

    It is determined by the undergraduate catalog that you are under and the grade basis that you enrolled. If you are under the 2009/2010 catalog (and forward) then it's a "C". If you are under an earlier catalog and enrolled under the normal grade basis, it is passing with a "D-" (provided your overall GPA remains above 2.0 in major and overall at the time of your graduation). However, you need a "C" to pass if you register for the course on "S/U" basis (regardless of catalog). Please consult with the chair if you have further questions.
  8. Can you S/U courses in your major?

    Yes, but you must get a "C" or better to receive the S and the credit hours.

Last Updated: 8/20/20