Senior Citizen


Admitted Students

Students admitted to Winthrop under our senior citizen programs must adhere to all Winthrop University policies and procedures. 


Once admitted, but prior to the start of classes, students must do the following: 


To avoid a non-refundable $50 fee, you must submit completed immunization information before the first day of classes. Contact Health Services at 803/323-2206 with questions.  

 Submit immunization forms to Center for Student Wellness. All students must provide proof for:

  • Tetanus — Booster within the past 10 years
  • Tuberculosis — Must provide answers to a screening questionnaire and, if required, submit TB test results and/or chest X-ray.
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) — Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must submit proof of immunization (2 doses)

Immunization also is recommended for Meningococcal Disease and Meningitis, but not required for students over 25 years of age.

Immunization is a "win-win" situation for all involved, as it provides a healthy learning environment for all Winthrop faculty, staff, and students.

Senior Citizens who need these immunizations administered may do so with their own medical care personnel or can have it taken care of by Center for Student Wellness in Joynes Hall for a nominal fee. 

E-mail Account

Set up your e-mail account. Undergraduate students may begin this process at Graduate students may begin this process at the New Graduate Student Checklist. If you have any difficulty, please contact the Help Desk in 15 Tillman.


If you are a degree seeking student, you must be advised by your official academic advisor prior to the start of the term. Undergraduate degree seeking students will be advised initially during an Orientation session, which you can sign up via Graduate degree seeking students will receive contact information for their advisor in their admissions e-mail.


At the start of the semester, students must accomplish the following:

  • Register for courses with the Records and Registration staff in 126 Tillman Hall. Students with access may also register via their Wingspan account. If the course you wish to enroll in is full, you may choose an alternate, or contact the Department Chair to discuss an override (degree-seeking students only).

    • You are only permitted to register beginning on the first day of classes (for fall and spring semesters), unless otherwise noted. For summer classes, you may register the week prior to the start of the summer session for which you are registering.  Dates may be found through the Academic Calendar.  

    • Audit students, after registering, must complete an Audit Form and submit it to Records and Registration in 126 Tillman by the add/drop deadline for the semester/term in which you are enrolled. Senior citizens do not need to obtain signatures from instructors or department chairs, unless the course is full or has pre-requisites/other restrictions.

    • Register your car with the Winthrop University Police Department at the Good Building. You are responsible for the student vehicle registration fee, which will be charged to your student account.

  • Pay your vehicle registration fee and any lab fees associated with your course at the Cashier's Office in 22 Tillman. Failure to pay any required fees may result in your classes being dropped. Visit Student Financial Services in 21 Tillman with any questions.

  • Get a Winthrop ID card made in 1 McBryde Hall.

  • Purchase books and supplies needed for courses. All books and supplies are the financial responsibility of the student and can be purchased at the Campus Bookstore in the DiGiorgio Campus Center or elsewhere.


Returning Students

Senior Citizens who wish to enroll in courses for an additional semester should contact Gloria Jones for assistance. 


Phone: 803/323-2251 (Student Affairs Main Office)

Degree seeking students will need to meet with their assigned advisor. All students should then follow the registration procedures outlined above. You will need a new parking permit and/or ID only if your old one has been misplaced or expired.