Request Benefits

Using Federal VA Education Benefits at Winthrop: 

All of the information and/or forms below are required to process your federal VA benefits. Complete the required forms to avoid delays in processing and certification. All forms can be submitted digitally via the links below.

*Note: Eligibility is determined by the federal VA, not Winthrop University. All students must apply for and be approved by the VA for any educational benefit before the VA benefits coordinator, who is a Winthrop employee, can certify student enrollment with the VA.

Requirements for students using VA benefits for the first time at Winthrop University:

Required forms to receive benefits:

  1. Submit your Student Profile to let us know more about what you're studying and which benefit you'll be using. (username: WU email before @, password: WU email password) 
  2. After you are approved for educational benefits, the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that lists your benefit chapter and start date:
    • Submit the first page of your COE as a .pdf to as soon as you receive it from the VA.
    • If you have not received a COE 30+ days after applying for VA benefits, or you need another copy, you can check the status of your application or request a copy of your COE through the VA website.
    • If you are using Chapter 31, please email your VR&E counselor's contact information to Your VR&E counselor will need to complete your 1905 authorization in the Tungsten system to process payments.
  3. Certification Request Form

Transfer students: 

  • If you have used federal VA benefits at another school, you will also need to transfer your benefits to Winthrop University.
  • Dependent students who have previously used SC Tuition Assistance for Certain War Veterans’ Children at another SC college or university are required to request a transfer letter directly from the SCDVA office at 803-647-2434 as soon as possible after admission to avoid any delays in payment.

Military tuition assistance programs for use with federal VA benefits:

Winthrop University does not determine eligibility or awards for any federal or state military tuition assistance (TA) program, nor does anyone at the institution initiate the request for benefits.

SC Tuition Assistance for Certain War Veterans’ Children

  • SC tuition assistance is a state benefit administered by the SC Department of Veterans Affairs (SCDVA) that is separate from federal VA education benefits. Dependent students who are eligible for federal VA benefits under Chapter 35 DEA or Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill do not automatically receive the SCDVA tuition assistance benefit.

  • If you are a SC resident using Chapter 35 or Chapter 33 dependent benefits to pursue an undergraduate degree, you may be eligible for a tuition waiver offered through the SCDVA tuition assistance program. To learn more about eligibility requirements and submit an application for this state educational benefit, go to

  • Winthrop's Financial Aid Office will award the tuition waiver when they receive a letter of eligibility for a new student, or a transfer letter, from the SCDVA. Financial Aid will automatically apply the grant each term, including summer, for continuing tuition waiver recipients who are registered for classes.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Section 702 Veterans Choice Act for in-state tuition

  • Veterans, active duty military, and their dependents may be eligible to pay in-state tuition if they are using Chapter 30, 31, 33 or 35 benefits. The Admissions Office will automatically award a waiver to any student using Chapters 30, 31, 33 or 35 who are residing in SC, including living in residence halls on campus. No application is necessary. Please note that students who receive a waiver under this provision will lose eligibility for nonresident schalrships, waivers and grants.

Military tuition assistance for Army and Air Force veterans (federal program)

SC National Guard Active Military & Veterans Educational & Career Training (state program)