Winthrop University: Veterans Benefits - Frequently Asked Questions

We are here to help you!
Winthrop's admissions team is ready and available to help you. If you have any questions, there are three ways you can contact us:
Phone: 803/323-2191
Virtual Chat: Click here to register

For updates, announcements and special messages from Admissions, please follow us on Instagram - @winthropadmissions

Also, please see our FAQs for prospective students and families amid Covid-19.

Frequently Asked Questions


FAQ question Can I receive course credit for my military training or military coursework?

FAQ answer All Questions and concerns regarding Military Credit, Transfer Credit, Academic Advising, should be through the Office of Military, Adult, & Transfer Students. Resource Center for Adult Students website.

FAQ question What Resources exist on campus for Veterans? 

FAQ answer

 The Office of Military, Adult, & Transfer Students is a great source to learn more about what Winthrop has to offer.

FAQ question When will I get paid?  

FAQ answer For Ch. 33 students, tuition is paid to the school no earlier than two weeks prior to the first day of the term.

You can have your schedule protected while we are waiting for payment from the VA if the Veterans Benefits Coordinator has an up-to-date Certificate of Eligibility or eBenefits screenshot showing the student's eligibility percentage and number of months of entitlement remaining. To have your schedule protected, students should contact Student Accounts Receivable at 803/323-3377 before the fee payment deadline. Failure to do so will result in the student's classes being dropped.

Chapter 33 book stipends are paid to the student at the beginning of each semester. Depending on when the VA receives/process your enrollment certification, you may not receive your book stipend until after classes start. It is a good idea to make other arrangements to pay for your books and treat this as a reimbursement — just in case it doesn't come in prior to the first day of class.

All other stipends are paid on the first of the month for the previous month. For example, your January stipend will be posted to your account on or around February 1. Keep in mind that you may experience payment delays at the beginning of a semester, especially if you are a new VA student or new to Winthrop.

If you believe your payment is late, call the VA at 888-GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to check the status. Call between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday. You also can submit a question at and click on "Submit a Question".

If you are a Ch. 33 student and have an eBenefits account, you can view certification and payment information there.

For ALL Chapters, please visit the VA Educational Benefit Stipends link above.

FAQ questionHow much will I get paid?  

FAQ answer This information is available in the rate tables on the VA's website.

FAQ questionWhat is Considered Full Time Status for Undergraduates/Graduates?  

FAQ answer Please visit the Enrollment Status link above.

FAQ question Can I receive VA benefits if I have not declared a major?  

FAQ answer A student cannot be certified beyond his or her sophomore year unless a major is declared. Only "General Education" courses can be certified prior to the declaration of a major.

FAQ question Can I receive VA benefits to take any courses at Winthrop?  

FAQ answer In order for students to receive VA payment for coursework, each registered class must fit into their declared major program. The Winthrop University Catalog is the official list of courses that are covered under VA educational benefits. It is the student's responsibility to make sure that their registered classes meet the VA certification requirements if VA payment is desired. Charges for any courses taken outside of a student's major are the student's responsibility.

For example, a student may have fulfilled all their electives and would like to take an extra gym class. If the class cannot fit into his/her program's requirements, then the Veterans Benefits Coordinator would not be able to certify such a class. The student would then be responsible for payment of that class.

FAQ question I am a Chapter 33 student and I got a letter from the VA saying the school certified $0.00 for tuition and fees for this semester. What does that mean?  

FAQ answer This is known as "Dual Certification".  The Veterans Benefits Coordinator first certifies enrollment for an upcoming semester before fees have been put on student accounts. Doing so helps students receive their housing and book stipends in a timely matter. If there are no fees on the student account, we report $0 to the VA and then go back and amend the certification after fees have been put on the accounts.  Once fees have been posted, the Veterans Benefits Coordinator then amends all certifications with Tuition and Fees.  

FAQ question Can I take classes at another school and use my VA Educational Benefits?  

FAQ answer

Yes, please contact the Veterans Benefits Coordinator the semester beforehand.  She will send to the school of your choice what is called a "Parent Letter". This allows that school's certifying official to certify your classes so you can still receive your VA Educational Benefits. 

FAQ question Can I study abroad and use my VA Educational Benefits?  

FAQ answer

If you have completed the Approval for Transfer Credit Form for the courses taken abroad (signed by your Student Services Coordinator), and those classes are in line with your degree program, the Veterans Benefits Coordinator can certify any TUITION and ACADEMIC FEES being charged through Winthrop University.  However, the VA will NOT pay for fees associated with Travel, Room, and Board expenses under any circumstances.

FAQ question Can I use my VA benefits for summer semester?  

FAQ answer Yes, just keep in mind that these months will count against the overall number of months of entitlement you have. Make sure to submit a copy of your schedule to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator, so that she knows you plan to use your benefits.

FAQ question What Happens if I "fail" a course?  

FAQ answer

Please see the Rules of Grades link above.

FAQ question Can I receive BOTH VA Benefits AND additional Financial Aid (Scholarships, Grants, etc.)?  

FAQ answer

This question is important for students receiving the Ch. 33 Post-911 GI-BILL and depends on several factors regarding what financial aid you are receiving.  Please contact the VA Benefits Coordinator for more information.

studying in the library

Last Updated: 6/15/20