In-State Tuition

Students who are classified as out-of-state students and are using VA Education Benefits may be eligible for one of the following options to help with the cost of tuition. 

Yellow Ribbon Program

Winthrop University is proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows approved institutions of higher learning and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to contribute tuition and fee expenses that exceed the established thresholds under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Winthrop's maximum contribution is $7,500 per student per year, and the VA will match this amount. This program is available on a first-come, first-served basis to the first 20 eligible undergraduate and 5 eligible graduate students per year. To receive Yellow Ribbon funds, the student has to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% level, not be on active duty (or using the transferred entitlement of an active-duty spouse) and be an out-of-state resident.

View the Yellow Ribbon Program Application (pdf - 26 kb).

For more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program, please visit


ACT11 and Policy 702

ACT 11 and Policy 702 both require universities to charge qualifying individuals in-state tuition regardless of residency status. For more information please visit the website regarding covered individuals.

To Qualify You Must Either Be:

  • A student who is receiving Ch. 33 Post 9/11 or Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill Educational Benefits who is living in South Carolina while attending Winthrop.*
  • A student who is receiving Ch. 33 Post 9/11 Transfer of Entitlement Benefits who is living in South Carolina while attending Winthrop. *

* Students are not required to live in South Carolina when applying to the university to be eligible for the in-state tuition rate. However, in order to receive the in-state tuition rate, the student must be residing in South Carolina after enrollment. 

Please see below for instructions on how to apply for in-state residency with the Office of Admissions. Once they approve your residency, please contact the Veterans Benefits Coordinator.

TO APPLY FOR IN-STATE RESIDENCY (to be completed and submitted to the Office of Admissions) 

 Obtain a copy of one of the following. This copy must include your Full Name and Permanent Address on it:

  • SC Driver's License
  • Apartment/Home Lease
  • Dorm/On-Campus Housing Agreement
  • Apartment/Home Bill

Additionally, please complete the Military Residency Form. Make sure to include the requested attachments requested at the bottom of this form with it when you submit to Admissions.
Download the SC Residency Form now (PDF)