Winthrop University: Veterans Benefits - Ch. 1607 REAP

We are here to help you!
Winthrop's admissions team is ready and available to help you. If you have any questions, there are three ways you can contact us:
Phone: 803/323-2191
Virtual Chat: Click here to register

For updates, announcements and special messages from Admissions, please follow us on Instagram - @winthropadmissions

Also, please see our FAQs for prospective students and families amid Covid-19.

Benefit Information

Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Chapter 1607 provides educational benefits to certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001.

For information on eligibility for benefits under Chapter 1607, visit

Step 1. Apply with the VA to use REAP at Winthrop.

Students using REAP for the first time

Go to and click on "Apply for Benefits." Log in, fill out VA Form 22-1990, and submit it to the VA. The VA will then process your application.

Transfer students who have previously used REAP

Go to and click on "Apply for Benefits." Fill out the "VA Form 22-1995" and submit it electronically. The VA will process your application.

All transfer students must provide official transcripts from all prior institutions of higher education to Winthrop's Office of Admissions. This is a requirement for all students using VA Education Benefits. The Department of Veteran Affairs requires the Veterans Benefits Coordinator at Winthrop to officially report all prior credits completed at other higher education institutions that can be applied towards the degree program that the student is pursuing at Winthrop.

Transient students attending Winthrop as a Guest Student

If you are pursuing a degree at another university and would like to use your GI Bill to take classes toward that degree at Winthrop, please have the School Certifying Official at your home school send a Parent Letter to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator at Winthrop.

Step 2. Contact the Veterans Benefits Coordinator at Winthrop University.

All students using VA educational benefits should complete the Student Profile Sheet (pdf - 347 kb) and Compliance Agreement (pdf - 115 kb) and return them to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator. Once the student has registered for classes, he/she should send the Veterans Benefits Coordinator a copy of his/her course schedule. Once the Veterans Benefits Coordinator has this information, she can send the Enrollment Certification to the VA. Once the VA receives the certification, they begin processing payments, which are paid directly to the student.

Step 3. Verify your attendance with the VA.

Students receiving REAP must verify their attendance at the end of each month using WAVE or by calling 877/823-2378.

Step 4. Stay up to date.

Let the Veterans Benefits Coordinator know if you make any changes to your enrollment, including schedule changes, withdrawing from classes, and major/minor changes. Failure to keep up-to-date records can result in an overpayment by the VA, which could result in you owing a large balance to the VA.

Each semester that you would like to use VA Educational Benefits, turn in a copy of your schedule once it is finalized to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator.

For the above program, eligibility is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs, not by Winthrop University. For information on benefit eligibility, please visit

Last Updated: 6/15/20