Benefit Information

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill, Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

Chapter 1606 provides up to 36 months of educational benefits to members of the Selected Reserve (including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Army National Guard, and the Air National Guard).

For information on eligibility for benefits under Chapter 1606, visit

Step 1. Apply with the VA to use the Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserves at Winthrop.

    Go to and click on "Apply for Benefits." Log in, fill out VA Form 22-1990, and submit it to the VA. The VA will process your application.

    Go to and click on "Apply for Benefits." Fill out the "VA Form 22-1995" and submit it electronically. The VA will then process your application.

    All transfer students must provide official transcripts from all prior institutions of higher education to Winthrop's Office of Admissions. This is a requirement for all students using VA Education Benefits. The Department of Veteran Affairs requires the Veterans Benefits Coordinator at Winthrop to officially report all prior credits completed at other higher education institutions that can be applied towards the degree program that the student is pursuing at Winthrop.

    If you are pursuing a degree at another university and would like to use your GI Bill to take classes toward that degree at Winthrop, please have the School Certifying Official at your home school send a Parent Letter to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator at Winthrop.

Step 2. Request to use your benefits at Winthrop. 

For information on using your benefits at Winthrop go to the request benefits page.

Once the Veterans Benefits Coordinator has this information, she can send the Enrollment Certification to the VA. Once the VA receives the certification, they begin processing payments, which are paid directly to the student.

Step 3. Verify your attendance with the VA.

Students receiving MGIB-SR must verify their attendance at the end of each month using WAVE or by calling 877/823-2378.

Step 4. Stay up to date.

Let the Veterans Benefits Coordinator know if you make any changes to your enrollment, including schedule changes, withdrawing from classes, and major/minor changes. Failure to keep up-to-date records can result in an overpayment by the VA, which could result in you owing a large balance to the VA.

Each semester that you would like to use VA Educational Benefits, turn in a copy of your schedule once it is finalized to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator.

For the above program, eligibility is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs, not by Winthrop University. For information on benefit eligibility, please visit