Counseling Services

Clinical Documentation and Letters of Support Policy

Counseling Services clinicians may write a letter at the request of a student should the student require support for the following academic purposes:

  1. Medical Withdrawal (to include a Complete Withdrawal or a Partial Withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances)
  2. Accommodation Letter to the Office of Accessibility or to the Dean of Students Office.
  3. Appeal to Financial Aid or other University Department.

In order to write any letter in support of a student, the clinician must have an established relationship with the student, or be able to gather enough supporting information about the student to be able to make responsible and informed clinical decision. Establishing a clinical relationship generally requires at least 3 or more sessions.