Winthrop University: Graduate School - Transfer Credit Policy
Contact Information
Graduate School
211 Tillman Hall
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
800/411-7041 (tollfree)
803/323-2292 (fax)

While Winthrop's campus is closed in compliance with state and national guidelines for COVID-19, our dedicated Admissions team is available to help you. To speak with someone from Admissions, please call 803-323-2191 between the hours of 9am-3pm (Monday-Friday) or email any questions to The health and safety of our staff and students is of the utmost importance so we will do our best to be available for you as long as we can.

Also, please follow us on Instagram for further updates.

Transfer Credit Policy

Winthrop may credit toward a graduate degree 9 semester hours of graduate work from another accredited graduate institution upon recommendation of the appropriate advisor and academic dean. (An additional 3 semester hours may be transferred, at the discretion of the advisor and academic dean.)  Students in the Master of Science programs in sport and fitness administration and human nutrition are limited to a maximum of six hours of transfer credit.  Transfer of credit must be approved in writing by the student's advisor and the academic dean for inclusion in the student's official program of study; and the course level is verified in Records and Registration.

After a student has entered a graduate program at Winthrop, permission from the student's advisor and academic dean is required prior to enrolling in any courses at another institution that will be transferred to Winthrop University. Permission to Transfer forms are available online at Official copies of transcripts must be submitted and evaluated before any transfer credit may be officially accepted. Certain courses submitted for transfer may not be considered equivalent to specified requirements although course titles may be the same.

A graduate student may not transfer credit taken at another institution while he or she is on academic probation at Winthrop or is ineligible to return to Winthrop.  Credit earned at another institution by a graduate student in good standing may be transferred if:

1. A grade of B or better has been earned in the course; or
2. A grade of S is earned, the granting institution is regionally accredited and would allow the course to be used in one of its graduate degrees.

Transfer credit is subject to all Catalog regulations pertaining to graduate degree courses, including the 6 year time limit.  Transfer credits are not used in computing the student's cumulative grade point average.  However, it is used in computing eligibility for academic honors. Transfer credits do not appear on a Winthrop transcript until the graduate student has achieved graduate degree status and the courses appear on an approved program of studies leading toward that degree.

Extension courses offered by accredited graduate institutions are subject to approval of the student's advisor and academic dean.  Transfer credit is subject to all Catalog regulations pertaining to graduate degree courses, including the 6-year time limit.

It is the student's responsibility to have an official transcript of the transfer credits forwarded to Records and Registration, 126 Tillman Hall, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC  29733, no later than four days prior to the expected graduation date. Transfer credits taken during the final semester of a program may delay graduation and certification approval until official transcripts have been received in Records and Registration. Transcripts of all work taken when a student is absent from Winthrop must be submitted when the student reapplies to Winthrop.









Last Updated: 3/27/20