Transfer Students

Definition: Students will be classified as a transfer applicant if they enrolled in a college or university after graduating from high school. 

The transfer process for international students is quick and easy! Many students elect to begin their studies at another college or university and transfer to Winthrop to earn an undergraduate degree. Winthrop University will process transfer applicants for the summer, fall or spring semesters.  

Winthrop University works with rolling admissions so students can apply any time of the year!

 Don’t wait to start your future. Apply now.

 If needed, a paper version of our International Admissions Application can be found here.


Winthrop does award scholarships to qualified transfer students!

Please see our Financial Aid page for details on the scholarship requirements and award amounts. International students are considered "Out-of-State" students, so please scroll down to the "Out-of-State Awards" section. Students who apply for admission will be automatically evaluated for these scholarships during the admission process.

International Undergraduate Admissions Policy

Please note: To help expedite consideration of your application for admission, please submit all the required documentation listed below at your earliest opportunity.  Unfortunately, applications cannot be considered for admission until Winthrop University’s Office of Admissions has received ALL required application materials.

  1. Undergraduate applicants (beginning freshmen and transfers) must submit official transcripts, mark sheets and examination certificates in their native language for all secondary and/or postsecondary coursework, along with certified, literal (exact) English translations for documents not originally issued in English. All official documents must be sent directly from the issuing institution, examining body, evaluation service or translation service to Winthrop University’s Office of Undergraduate Admission.
  2. Undergraduate applicants (beginning freshmen and transfer) must submit secondary and college or university credentials from non-U.S. institutions to a foreign credential evaluation agency for a course-by-course evaluation with grade point average calculation. Winthrop recommends a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services ( The credential evaluation report must be sent directly from the evaluation service to Winthrop University’s Office of Admissions.
    1. SpanTran is a NACES company that has created a custom portal for Winthrop students to help you obtain a course-by-course evaluation with grade point average calculation at a discounted rate. You can apply with their custom application by clicking here. Once completed, SpanTran will send an official, electronic copy of your evaluation to Winthrop at no cost.
    2. Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. is a NACES approved company that has created a custom portal for Winthrop students to help you obtain a course-by-course evaluation with grade point average calculation at a discounted rate.  You can apply for these services using their custom portal by clicking here.
  3. Official and original results of any standardized tests, such as SAT and ACT examinations (please note that SAT and ACT examinations are not required for international students but are highly recommended for potential scholarship eligibility). Standardized test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to Winthrop University’s Office of Admissions.
  4. Official documentation of English proficiency (see specific English language requirements below);
  5. A non-refundable application fee of U.S. $60 must accompany the application.
  6. A clear photocopy of identity page of passport (to ensure correct spelling of applicant’s name and verification of birthdate).

English Language Requirements

Winthrop University requires proficiency in spoken and written English. This helps ensure that students who speak English as a second language are able to participate fully in the classroom and be successful members of the Winthrop community.  Official score reports for proof of English proficiency must be sent directly from the testing agency to Winthrop University’s Office of Admissions. 


Winthrop University requires one of the following scores to prove English language proficiency:

  • A TOEFL score of at least 520 paper-based or 68 internet-based.
  • A band score of 6.0 on IELTS with no sub score lower than 5.
  • A Duolingo English Test score of 95
  • Successful completion of level 112 of the Intensive English for Academic Purposes Program from an ELS English Language Center.  Please note that Winthrop must receive an official Academic Report and copy of the ELS Certificate directly from ELS.
  • SAT Critical Reading score of 480 or higher.
  • Graduation from a high school where English is the primary language of instruction.
  • Successful completion of two semesters at an accredited US institution as a full-time student, and completion of two semesters of English composition with a grade of C- or higher (online English composition courses are not accepted). 
  • International students from the following countries are exempt from the English Language Requirement: Anguilla, Antarctica, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, India, Ireland, Islas Malvinas, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Micronesia, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St. Christopher & Nevis, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, Vanuatu, Vatican City, Virgin Islands, Western Samoa, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Awarding of Transfer Credit:

The evaluation of transfer credit is conducted by the student services office of each academic area. Upon acceptance, a copy of the college transcript(s) is forwarded to the appropriate student services office as indicated by your choice of degree program on the admissions application. Information on the transfer of credit will be available to the student after an evaluation has been completed.  

Please consult Winthrop Universities undergraduate transfer credit policy for more information on transferring course credit to Winthrop University. 

If you should have any further questions to the information displayed on this page please contact the Office of Admissions

Transfer credit will not be considered if all prior institutions are not listed on this application. Winthrop University may request complete course descriptions or course syllabi for all courses you have taken to allow for a full evaluation for transfer of credit.


Additional requirements for transfer students from foreign institutions:

Transfer credit will not be considered if all prior institutions are not listed on this application. You must submit an official course-by-course credential evaluation to accompany official transcripts. The credential evaluation must be performed by World Education Services ( or by an agency that is a member of NACES (

Important Reminder:

In order for Winthrop to process an application and consider it for full undergraduate admissions, we require students to submit all of their original and official transcripts.  For the purposes of admissions and transfer credit, an official document is a document that has been sent directly to Winthrop University in a sealed envelope from the institution you attended or from the examining body.   

These transcripts have to be sent to us directly by the issuing institution.  Please ask that all original documents be sent to the following address:  

Winthrop University
Office of Admissions, Joynes Hall
701 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA


Student Visa and Financial Guarantee

To receive the immigration document required to obtain an F or J visa, all international students are required to provide evidence of financial support for one academic year at Winthrop. Proof of funding for a year at Winthrop is not an admissions requirement but a requirement of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. International students are required to complete a Statement of Financial Responsibility and Affidavit of Support verifying proof of funding. This document must indicate sufficient funds to support your education and living expenses while studying in the United States and be accompanied by an official bank letter or original bank statements. Immigration documents cannot be issued without this documentation.

Winthrop's International Center can provide information on the Statement of Financial Responsibility and Affidavit of Support and costs for studying at Winthrop. If you have any additional questions about the F or J visa and your immigration status while studying at Winthrop please contact the International Center