Work Place Injuries


Reporting Workplace Injuries and Workers' Compensation

All employees of the university are protected while on duty by a Workers' Compensation Program administered by the State Accident Fund (SAF).  Medical case management is provided by Compendium Services., Inc., through a contractual agreement with SAF.  Workers' compensation claims are filed electronically by Compendium Services in response to the submission of a First Report of Injury.

Questions regarding the workers' compensation plan or reporting procedures should be directed to Katharyne Tedford, Workers' Compensation Administrator, at 803/323-2392 or

When an injury or illness is determined by SAF to be work-related, the employee's medical expenses including prescription drugs and mileage for doctor's visits in excess of 10 miles per round-trip may be paid. An employee may also be eligible for temporary payroll benefits if they become disable due to a work-related injury or illness and cannot work.


Reporting Minor Injuries or Work-Related Illnesses

  1. Any employee who sustains even a minor injury while on duty or develops a work-related illness must immediately report the injury or illness to their supervisor.
  2. When medical treatment is needed, the supervisor must contact Compendium Services at 877/709-2667 to file a First Report of Injury and to receive authorization for treatment.  All non-emergency medical treatment must be pre-approved by Compendium Services and is provided by:
    Concentra Urgent Care
    1393 Celanese Road
    Rock Hill, SC 29732
  3. The supervisor also must report the injury or illness to Katharyne Tedford, Workers' Compensation Administrator at 803/323-2392.

Employees should report all injuries and work-related illnesses to their supervisor no matter how minor they may seem at the time. An employee who fails to report an injury or work-related illness may risk being denied benefits by SAF should medical treatment be needed at a later time.


Medical Emergencies

  1. In the event of a serious or life-threatening injury that requires immediate or emergency medical attention, call 9-911 for an emergency operator or call the Winthrop University Police Department at 803/323-3333.  Compendium Services and the Campus Administrator should be contacted as soon as the situation allows.
  2. When an injured employee is transported to an emergency treatment facility for care, the supervisor or a designated university representative should accompany them to the facility and remain until the employee has been admitted or released.
  3. The supervisor or designated representative should notify the treating facility that workers' compensation may be filed for the injured employee and provide the following insurance information, if needed:

For treatment authorization and case management:

Compendium Services, Inc.
Phone: 877/709-2667
Fax: 877/710-2667

For billing and payment information:

State Accident Fund
P.O. Box 102100
Columbia, SC 29221-5000
Phone: 800/521-6576

For verification of employment and insurance coverage:

Winthrop University       
Environmental Health and Safety                          
Katharyne Tedford
Phone: 803/323-2392
Cell: 803/207-1052
Fax: 803/323-2426

Winthrop University
Human Resources
Phone: 803/323-2273


Return to Work

An employee who has received medical treatment for an injury or work-related illness may return to work only when authorized in writing by the treating physician to return to full duty. Full duty is defined as being able to perform all job functions as described in the employee’s position description without restriction or limitation. If the treating physician restricts an employee’s activities, but the specific restrictions do not impact job performance, the employee may return to work. However, if the restricted activities limit the employee’s ability to perform at full duty, the employee may not be allowed to return to work until the restrictions are lifted and he/she presents a doctor’s written statement to that effect. Winthrop University does not provide light or limited duty assignments. Potential ADA issues arising because of an injury or work-related illness should be addressed by Human Resources.


Election of Compensation Method

Section 8-11-145 of the S.C. Code of Laws provides that, in the event of an accidental injury or work-related illness arising out of and in the course of employment with the State, a disabled employee shall make an election to receive compensation under one of the following options:

  1. To be placed on paid leave status, using accrued sick and/or annual leave. (When such leave credits are exhausted before the employee can return to work, the employee shall be entitled to workers’ compensation disability benefits at the time the specific amount of leave is exhausted.)
  2. To use workers’ compensation benefits awarded in accordance with Title 42 of the 1976 Code. The employee would receive disability benefits equal to 66 2/3% of the employee’s average gross weekly pay. These benefits are non-taxable and cannot exceed the established maximum rate. SC law sets a seven (7) calendar day waiting period to receive temporary disability benefits. An employee will be eligible for compensation on and after the 8th day. If the injury is such that the authorized treating physician requires the employee to be out of work for fifteen (15) or more calendar days, they will be paid for every day they are out-of-work, retroactive to the first day.
  3. To receive sick and/or annual leave on a prorated basis in conjunction with workers’ compensation according to the formula approved by the State Budget and Control Board.

The effect of each available option on the employee’s future leave can be explained to the employee by the workers’ compensation administrator before the election of method is made. The election shall be in writing and signed by the employee and the person who explains the options. The election of the employee is irrevocable as to each individual accident or work-related illness. Regardless of which method of disability compensation an employee elects, he/she would continue to be eligible for payment of medical costs provided by the State Accident Fund.