Helpful Links & Glossary of Useful Terms

Please find below a list of helpful links. If you should require further information please contact the International Center.

Student Visa Links

U.S. Department of State Visa Information 
U.S. Embassies Around the World
SEVIS I-901 Fee Information

United States Government Links

U.S. Department of State (USDOS)
U.S. Department of Homeland Security (USDHS)
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE) 

Travel to and from the U.S. Links

U.S. Department of State Travel Information
U.S. Department of State Visa Waiver Program 
U.S. State Department Travel Warnings
CBP Travel Warnings outside U.S.

Arriving at Winthrop University Links

By Air

Wait Times at U.S. Airports

All Airlines that service Charlotte Douglas International Airport-


By Train/Bus

Amtrak Train
Greyhound Bus Line

By Car

Driving DirectionsWinthrop University, 701 Oakland Avenue, Rock Hill, SC, 29733

Rock Hill, South Carolina Information Links

State of South Carolina 
City of Rock Hill
The Herald (Rock Hill's Local Newspaper)
Rock Hill Public School System (Elementary and Secondary Schools)

Charlotte, North Carolina Information Links

Charlotte, North Carolina 
Charlotte Observer (Charlotte's Local Newspaper) 

Commonly Used Terms

A -- B -- C-- D -- E -- F -- G -- H -- I -- J -- K -- L -- M -- N -- O -- P -- Q -- R -- S -- T -- U -- V -- W -- X -- Y -- Z


A Number - The Alien Registration Number is the USCIS counterpart of a social security number.  Non-immigrants usually do not have an A number, and instead use their I-94 number for USCIS identification purposes. (Most immigrants and many non-immigrants will also have social security numbers, though their actual social security cards will usually contain a "not Valid for Employment" notation which indicate that the cards cannot be used to prove eligibility for employment.)

Academic Training (AT) - Work authorization given by the Responsible Officer.  Work, training, or experience related to a J-1 student's field of study.

Accreditation - Approval of colleges and universities by nationally recognized professional associations or regional accrediting bodies.

Affidavit of Support - An official document proving a promise of funding from an individual or organization.

Academic Standards - measures of scholastic excellence held by a university; most require that students maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) to continue their studies.

ACT - ACT Assessment; one of two standardized achievement tests (the other is the SAT) taken by U.S. high school students and international students interested in university study in the United States. Many universities have a minimum ACT requirement for admission.

Academic Year - Runs from late-August to mid-August and is divided into fall and spring sessions:
   Fall Semester: late-August to mid-December
   Spring Semester: early-January to late-April
   Summer Sessions: May to mid-August

Admission - The process of evaluating applicants for acceptance to a university, school, or college. The admission process is separate from the process of registering for courses.

Admission Number - a unique eleven digit number assigned to non-immigrants as they enter the U.S. This number can be found on the I-94 Arrival / Departure Record.

Advising- Personal assistance to students in dealing with academic issues.

Alumni - People who have graduated from a university, school, or college.

Arrival / Departure Record - Form I-94 which is processed at the port of entry, and includes USCIS Admission Number, date and place of entry, visa classification, and length of time the person is permitted to remain in the U.S.

Assistantship - A paid graduate appointment that requires part-time duties. These assistantships usually include a tuition waiver and a stipend.

Audit/Auditors - Taking courses for no academic credit. Auditors may attend lectures without writing examinations.


Bursar - the university office responsible for student tuition, fees, and bill paying.

Bachelor's Degree - A bachelor's degree is awarded upon successful completion of a program of study. Traditionally a Bachelor's degree must be completed before one can embark on a Master's degree program. Bachelor's degree programs are also known as "undergraduate programs" and people studying in them are referred to as undergraduates.

B-1/B-2: These are visitors for business and tourism, respectively.  They may not register for classes.

BCIS - Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. Formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). This agency is now under the new Department of Homeland Security that administers and adjudicates all matters related to Homeland security issues, including immigration services


Change of Status - Application process by which a non-immigrant changes their of visa category from one to another. 

College - A postsecondary institution that provides undergraduate education and, in some cases, master's level degrees. College, in a separate sense, is a division of a university; for example, College of Business.

College catalog - An official publication giving information about a university's academic programs, facilities, entrance requirements, and student life.

Conditional admission - An acceptance to a college or university that is dependent upon the individual completing coursework or meeting specified criteria prior to enrollment, such as English language proficiency.

Course - Regularly scheduled class sessions of one to five hours (or more) per week during a term. A degree program is made up of a specified number of required and elective courses and varies from institution to institution.

Consular Visa Stamp - The consular visa stamp represents permission to travel to the US. It indicates the date until which a student may enter or re-enter the US. It does not indicate how long the student may remain in the US. That amount of time will be specified on your form I-94 and on your form I-20 or DS-2019. Visas may be obtained only outside the US at an American Embassy or Consulate.

Credits - Units institutions use to record the completion of courses (with passing grades) that are required for an academic degree. The catalog of a college or university defines the number and kinds of credits that are required for the university's degrees and states the value of each course offered in terms of "credit hours" or "units."

Credit Hour - a unit counted toward completion of an academic program. Each course is worth a number of credit hours (also known as "credits") the number of credit hours reflects the number of hours a student spends in class for that course per week. A typical course offers 3 credit hours. Students typically take 12–15 credit hours per semester. A bachelor's degree typically requires a total of 120–124 credit hours.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - permission given to an F-1 student by a Designated School Official to engage in employment that is an integral part of the established curriculum.

Completion Date  - A student's completion date refers to the date the student completes the requirements for his or her degree program; i.e., it is the date the student finishes the last class, turns in a required thesis or dissertation, or otherwise meets the requirements for the degree. It is not the date of graduation, which may follow the completion date by weeks if not months. F-1 student have 60 days to remain in the U.S. beyond completion of studies to either prepare for departure or begin any authorized practical training; J-1 students have 30 days.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) - The bureau within the Department of Homeland Security that includes the border patrol, customs service, and inspectors at the U.S. ports of entry.

Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019): forms issued by an institution for a student or scholar to use in applying for a visa to enter the U.S.

C/S - Change of status (from one non-immigrant category to another).


Degree - The academic credential conferred upon a student who has completed a given course of study. The three types of degrees are bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, and doctoral degrees.

Degree Audit - A process of matching program requirements against courses taken, i.e. ensuring that you're taking the right courses to get a degree.

Department of Homeland Security (DHS) - The United States Department of Homeland Security is the U.S. government department responsible for most areas of national security.  It includes three bureaus that perform functions formerly carried out by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS): the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) which includes the officers who handle airport inspections; the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) which is responsible for SEVIS; and the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) which adjudicates applications for such benefits as optional practical training among its responsibilities.

Department of State (DOS) - The United States Department of State maintains diplomatic relationships between the United States and other countries. Within the U.S., the department oversees foreign embassies and consulates and manages the accreditation of their ambassadors and other personnel present in the U.S. It issues passports to U.S. citizens. Outside the U.S., the Department of State organizes the work of U.S. embassies and consulates, issues visas to foreign nationals, and generally assists in expediting international travel and commerce. The Department of State administers the Exchange Visitor Program, which includes J-1 students.

Dependent - A spouse or unmarried, minor (under age 21). 

Designated School Official (DSO) - The International Student Adviser authorized to issue and sign I-20s. The DSO is a regularly employed member of the school administration who ensures institutional and individual compliance with the law by learning, interpreting, and applying laws and government policies pertaining to F-1 students. Only a DSO may issue and sign the I-20 and create or update SEVIS records.

Department - Administrative subdivision of a school, college, or university through which instruction in a certain field of study is given (such as English department or History department).

Diploma  - 1. An academic qualification received after completing a diploma program (distinct from a degree). 2. The actual document certifying that a student has completed their degree or diploma.

Distance Education and Technology - Offers credit courses by online correspondence and tutoring to students who wish to complete courses away from campus.

Doctoral Degree - The highest university degree. Generally a student must complete a bachelor's degree and usually a master's degree before embarking on doctoral studies. People completing their doctoral degree are referred to as doctoral students or graduate students. Most commonly designated as PhD.

Dorm - shortened form of "dormitory"; also known as "residence hall." A university building where students live while going to school, often with shared rooms.

Domestic Students - Students who are either US citizens or permanent residents

DS-2019 - “Certificate of Eligibility for the Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status.”  The government-controlled document issued to individuals applying for J-1 visas abroad.  The DS-2019 has two pages.  Page 1 contains program and biographical information.  Page 2 consists of pre-printed instructions.  The DS-2019 has a unique identification number on it, which connects to the student or scholar's record in the SEVIS database. The DS-2019 serves as a primary record of a student's immigration-related actions, such as extensions and transfers. A student should keep all DS-2019s ever issued to compile a comprehensive history of J-1 status.

Duration of Status (D/S) - "Duration of Status" or "D/S" is the length of time for which individuals in F and J status are admitted to the United States. Found marked on the I-20 and the I-94. D/S allows students to remain in the United States as long as they are pursuing full-time studies and are otherwise complying with all immigration regulations. D/S is not, however, for an indefinite period of time. D/S is based on the completion date on your I-20 or DS-2019, plus a 60-day grace period for F-1 students and a 30-day grace period for J-1 students.


Early Admission - A process whereby high school students may apply and be accepted to university earlier than usual. Admission is contingent upon satisfactory completion of their high school diploma.

Elective - A course that is not specifically required for your program; optional.

English Language Proficiency - The minimum standard for spoken and written English language skills that a student must achieve for admission to a university.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) - The "Employment Authorization Document" is a photo ID card issued by the DHS to nonimmigrant's that have, as the document states, authorization to be employed. It is evidence of permission for F-1 students to engage in optional practical training and off-campus employment based on economic hardship and for J-2 dependents to engage in any type of employment on or off campus.  The EAD indicates the begin and end dates of employment and the type of work permission authorized.

Exam Schedule - A listing of days, times, and locations of final examinations.

Exchange Program  - Opportunities for students to pursue some of their studies at another institution, often in another country, while remaining registered at Winthrop University.

Exchange Visitor Program - An alien coming temporarily to the United States as a participant in a program approved by the Secretary of State for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, or receiving training. 

Extension of Stay - An F-1 student is admitted to the United States for "duration of status," that is, to complete an educational program. However, if a student must remain in an educational program beyond the originally completion date of the program, as stated by item 5 on the Form I-20, the student must comply with USCIS procedures for program extension.

Extracurricular Activities - organized student activities connected with school and usually carrying no academic credit, such as sports, clubs, volunteer activities. Many college applications request a list of high school extracurricular activities.


F-1 Visa Category - A non-immigrant student visa.  F-1 students are pursuing a full course of study towards a specific educational or professional objective at an academic institution in the U.S., as designated by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Once the educational objective has been attained, the U.S. government expects the F-1 student to return to his or her residence abroad.

F-2 - The dependent spouse and unmarried minor children of an F-1 student have this immigration classification (i.e. spouse or child, under the age of 21). F-2 dependents are not permitted to work in the United States under any circumstances. F-2 dependents are also prohibited from full-time study at the post-secondary level.

Fees - An amount charged by universities, in addition to tuition, to cover costs of institutional services, such as library services or recreational facilities.

Financial Documentation - proof, often in the form of bank statements or certificates of deposit that students have the necessary money to study in the United States.

Financial Statement - a document issued by banks or credit companies that tracks a person's finances, including credits and debits.

Form I-20 and Form DS-2019 - On these forms, an International Student Advisor certifies that a student has adequate English language proficiency and adequate financial resources, and is academically qualified to attend the school to which he or she has been accepted. Students cannot let the date of completion of studies on these forms expire, and must apply for an extension 60 days in advance.

Form I-94 - Also called a Departure Record, is issued to students upon their arrival in the US by an Immigration officer. The form, which is a white card usually stapled to your passport, is generally marked “D/S” (duration of status) by the Immigration officer at the port of entry.  The “D/S” means that you will be in legal status only as long as you are a full-time student pursuing the same degree that is specified on your I-20 or DS-2910 form and your document is valid.

Full-Course of Study - The number of credits a student must take to maintain non-immigrant visa status.


GRE/GMAT - Graduate Record Exam and Graduate Management Admission Test both administered by ETS - Educational Testing Services and often required for admission to graduate degree programs, such as the History and MBA programs.

Graduate Assistantship - A paid graduate appointment that requires part-time duties. These assistantships usually include a tuition waiver and a stipend.

Grade Point Average (GPA) - A system of recording achievement based on a numerical average of the grades attained in each course.

Graduate - A student who has completed a course of study, either at the secondary or university level.

Graduate Program - a course of study for students’ who already hold a bachelor's degree.

GPA - grade point average; an average of grades earned, weighted by the number of credit hours earned.

Graduate Degree - a degree earned after completing the bachelor's degree. Examples include master's degrees and doctorates (Ph.D.'s).

Graduate Student - a student, usually working toward a master's degree, who has already completed a bachelor's degree.

"Green Card" - The term commonly applied to the Permanent Resident Card (formerly, the Alien Registration Receipt Card), the credit-card sized document which identifies an individual as an LPR. "Green cards" were originally green, for several years were blue and then, until recently, were rose-colored.




I-20 - “Certificate of Eligibility for the F-1 Student Status.”  This document is required for obtaining an F-1 visa and obtaining and maintaining the F nonimmigrant status.  Unlike the DS-2019, the I-20 has three pages.  Page 1 contains program information, and biographical information.  Page 2 consists of pre-printed instructions.  Page 3 contains spaces for employment authorization data and space for travel authorizations.  Dependents (F-2) accompanying the F-1 student must each have their own SEVIS I-20, which identifies them as the dependent.

I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) - The I-94 is a small white card activated by a DHS officer at the port of entry for every nonimmigrant. It is issued to the student at the port of entry by a DHS officer and removed from the passport when the student leaves the U.S. It is evidence of legal entry to the U.S., indicating the date of arrival, the classification, e.g., tourist, student, etc., and the amount of time one is permitted to stay in the United States. The I-94’s of those in F and J status should be marked with the letters "D/S." It is the I-94 and not the visa stamp that controls how long someone may remain in the U.S. legally

I-539 - The I-539 is the application for a change of status within the United States, e.g., H-1B to F-1 student. It is also used to regain legal F-1 status in certain situations, an application known as reinstatement.

I-765 - The I-765 is a BCIS form to accompany an application for Employment Authorization such as OPT and Severe Economic Hardship.

I-9 – A form to prove employment eligibility by anyone being hired.

International Student Adviser - The person at a university who is in charge of providing information and guidance to international students in such areas as government regulations, visas, academic regulations, social customs, language, financial or housing problems, travel plans, insurance, and legal matters.

Immigration - the act of coming into a country to live where one is not a native resident.

In-State (tuition fee) - the tuition fee charged to South Carolina residents. Residents of other states or countries pay out-of-state tuition.

Immigrant - An immigrant is a foreign national who intends to establish a permanent residence in the United States. Permanent residency is granted when an immigrant visa is issued or a foreign national undergoes a successful "adjustment of status" application.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) - The bureau within the Department of Homeland Security responsible for the SEVIS database, and intelligence and investigations related to nonimmigrants’ in the U.S.

INS - The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service was responsible for enforcing the regulations that apply to non-citizens within the United States. These duties now fall under the Department of Homeland Security.

In-Status - A student who is abiding by all the regulations governing his/her status, which is F-1 in your case.

International Student - Any student who does not hold US citizenship or Permanent Resident status in the US.


J-1 Student - A J-1 student is a nonimmigrant who has been selected to participate in an exchange visitor program. J-1 students generally are financially sponsored by an educational institution in the U.S. or abroad, the U.S. or a foreign government, or a private agency in support of international educational exchange.

J-2 - Dependent of the J-1 (i.e. spouse or child, under the age of 21). J-2s are allowed to work with prior work permission from DHS. J-2s are also currently allowed to be students.




LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) - A person who is entitled to live and work in the U.S. permanently.

Loan - money lent (usually by banks or the U.S. government) to be paid back with interest. (Note: Most U.S. banks will not give loans to non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents without a U.S. citizen or permanent resident co-signing on the loan.)


Maintaining Status - Abiding by immigration regulations as pertains to your visa category.   To follow the rules and regulations that pertains to that particular non-immigrant visa status.

Major - The subject in which a student wishes to concentrate. An academic subject chosen as a field of specialization 

Master's Degree - Degree awarded upon completion of academic requirements that usually include a two year's study beyond the bachelor's degree.

Minor - A subject in which the student takes the second greatest concentration of courses.  An academic subject chosen as a secondary field of specialization, less than a major.

Mandatory fees - required costs charged by the university in addition to tuition: examples include student activity fee, student health fee, technology fee, and transportation fee.

Master's Degree - The degree after a bachelor's degree and usually preceding a doctoral degree. Students studying for a master's degree are referred to as "graduate students." Designated as MA, MSc, etc., depending on the field of study.

Merit-Based Scholarship - money awarded to students to attend college. It is usually based on a student's academic achievements.

Minority - a person who is a member of an ethnic group that is small in proportion to other groups.

Miscellaneous Fees - extra costs charged by the university for services such as transcripts, admission applications, and independent study.

Mile - a unit of distance equal to 1,609 meters.


National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS) - The requirement of certain temporary foreign visitors of eighteen countries to register with immigration when entering and exiting the U.S.

Nonresident - A student who does not meet the residence requirements of the state. Tuition fees and admission policies may differ for residents and nonresidents. International students are usually classified as nonresidents, and there is little possibility of changing to resident status at a later date for tuition purposes.

Nonimmigrant - A nonimmigrant is a person who is in the United States temporarily to pursue a specific activity or purpose (e.g., study, travel, business). Most nonimmigrants, including all F-1 and J-1 students and their dependents, must have an established residence abroad to which they intend to return. There are over fifty classifications of nonimmigrants, each defined according to the primary purpose of stay in the U.S.


Optional Practical Training - Work experience which a person can seek during or after receiving a degree (F-1 students). Permission given to F-1 students to engage in employment directly related to the field of study.

Off-Campus Housing - apartments and houses not located on campus premises.

On-Campus Housing - apartments and residence halls located on campus premises.

Out-Of-State (tuition fee) - the tuition fee charged to students whose permanent residence is outside of the state of South Carolina; also known as nonresident tuition fee.

Out Of Status - A student who is not abiding by all the regulations governing his/her status, F-1. When a non-immigrant fails to comply with all of the conditions of his/her immigration status. Example: working without permission.

Orientation - Sessions combining information and social events that are designed to welcome and transition new students to the Winthrop community.


Passport - A document issued by a government to identify a person as a citizen of a particular country, to permit the recipient to travel abroad under the protection of that country, and to permit the person's re-enter to the home country. Passports must be extended, renewed, or reissued by the home government, usually through a consulate or embassy in the U.S., or in the home country.

PhD - Abbreviation for "Doctor of Philosophy." This is the designation for doctoral degrees in most fields of study.

Placement Test - An examination used to test a student's academic ability in a certain field so that he or she may be placed in the appropriate courses in that field. In some cases, a student may be given academic credit based on the results of a placement test.

Port of Entry (POE) - Place where you enter U.S. and are processed by an immigration official.

Post-Baccalaureate Degree - The degree of "bachelor" conferred upon graduates of most U.S. colleges and universities.

Prerequisite - Program or course that a student is required to complete before being permitted to enroll in a more advanced program or course.

Professional Programs - Also known as post-baccalaureate programs. A program entered after full or partial completion of a bachelor's degree to train for a specialized professional field.

Professor - An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at post-secondary accredited educational institutions, museums, libraries, or similar types of institutions.

Program - The series of courses that leads to a particular degree.

Program Sponsor - Are legal entities that applied for and received designation from the Department of State to conduct exchange visitor programs, are enrolled in SEVIS, and directly offer the “program” in which the EV participates or places the EV in an appropriate program.

Prospective Student - A student who is thinking about applying to a college or university.




Reinstatement – an application process by which an F-1 student who has failed to maintain status may be request to be reinstated to lawful status at the discretion of immigration. 

Research Scholar - An individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at research institutions.

Responsible Officer (RO) - The International Student/Scholar Adviser authorized to issue and sign DS-2019s. The RO is a regularly employed member of the school administration who ensures institutional and individual compliance with the law by learning, interpreting, and applying laws and government policies pertaining to J-1 students and their dependents. Only an RO may issue and sign the DS-2019 and create or update SEVIS records.

Reasonable Living Expenses - general estimated costs, including housing, personal expenses, and transportation, while attending college. Living expenses differ for each individual based upon personal choices so this might reflect a fairly comfortable lifestyle.

Registration - The process of registering in a program of courses. This is separate from the process of admission.  Process through which students select courses to be taken during a semester.


SAT - Scholastic Assessment Test; one of two standardized achievement tests (the other is the ACT) taken by U.S. high school students and international students interested in university study in the United States. Many universities have a minimum SAT requirement for admission.

Schedule - See course schedule, exam schedule.

Scholarship - Non-repayable award based on academic excellence and involvement in school and/or community. The vast majority of scholarships at Winthrop are awarded based on merit and nominations; you can not apply.

Semesters - At Winthrop we have two sessions: Fall Semester runs August to April; Spring Semester runs January to May. Summer is optional from May to August.

SEVIS - Student & Exchange Visitor Information System.  An electronic reporting system that provides the U.S. Department of Homeland Security with information on international students and scholars in the United States who hold F, J, and M visas.

Short-Term Scholar - A professor, research scholar, specialist, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the U.S. on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at research institutions.

Social Security Number (SSN) - A number issued to people by the U.S. government for payroll deductions.  Anyone who works and received pay must obtain a Social Security Number for taxation purposes. 

Specialist - An individual who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to the United States for observing, consulting, or demonstrating special skills.


Teaching assistant (TA) -  usually a graduate student, who leads undergraduate seminars.

TD - The dependent visa for spouses and unmarried children under age 21 who accompany a TN employee. The TD does not provide for any employment.

TN - The TN is an employment visa which allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to be employed in the U.S.

TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language; a test that measures the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand North American English. Most accredited US college and universities have a minimum TOEFL score for admission.

Transcript - an official university record of courses, grades, and length of study.

Transfer - "School transfer" is used by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) to describe the process by which an international student leaves one U.S. institution (before or after completion of studies) and begins attendance at another U.S. institution. School transfer, in this situation, does not refer to the transfer of academic credits or records between institutions. 

Transfer Student - A student entering a university from another post-secondary institution.

Tuition - the cost of college instruction based on the number of courses taken.

Two Year Home Residency Requirement - 212(e) - J-1 exchange visitors subject to 212(e) must return to home country for an aggregate of two years upon completion of studies. 


United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) - the U.S. government agency responsible for providing services to non-U.S. citizens in the U.S.

United States Custom and Border Protection (CBP) - Responsible for immigration inspections at U.S. ports of entry, for the Border Patrol, and for the Customs Service.

United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) - Responsible for immigration investigations, detention, removal, intelligence, and SEVIS.

Undergraduate Studies - Two-year or four-year programs at a college or university, undertaken after secondary school graduation and leading to the associate or bachelor's degree.

Undergraduate Student - Any student in a bachelor's degree program.


Visa - The visa is a stamp placed in the passport that serves as a ticket to apply for entry to the United States. The visa indicates the purpose of someone's visit, which is represented by an alphabetical classification. Student visas are either F-1 or J-1. The visa is also valid for a specified number of entries to the United States: one, two, or "multiple," i.e., any number, until the expiration date. The visa does not indicate how long a person may remain in the United States.  It is possible to be in the United States legally with an expired visa. However, once you leave the United States, you need a valid visa to re-enter. It is not possible to obtain a new F-1 or J-1 visa within the United States. Visas must be applied for at U.S. consulates and embassies abroad.

Volunteerism - Work done for no compensation.


Waiver - a notice given which releases you from fees or courses. For example, if you receive a fee waiver, you do not have to pay that fee.

Wingspan - The password-protected website where you can register for courses, change your address, check your grades, etc.

Withdrawal - The administrative procedure of dropping a course or leaving a university.