Military Coursework Credit


Basic Training

Winthrop University will award a minimum of 2 hours of credit (Physical Education Elective) for completion of Basic Training.  In order to obtain credit, new students must submit a DD-214 form or DD-2586 form to the Office of Admissions.  Currently enrolled students should submit the form to Records and Registration.

Military Coursework

Students who have taken military course work, and who wish for that course work to be evaluated for transfer credit to Winthrop University, should request that an official Joint Services Transcript or Community College of the Airforce Transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions (new students) or Records and Registration (continuing students). The office of student services in the applicable college will evaluate military credit using the current edition of the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces. The academic college will make the final determination on the applicability of the acceptable credit to the student's degree program.


College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, cultural pursuits, or life experiences by earning qualifying scores on any of the many examinations.

Winthrop University does not give credit for every CLEP test available. A listing of the CLEP tests accepted at Winthrop can be found on the Center for Student Wellness website.

As a veteran, you may be entitled to be reimbursed for CLEP testing. For more information about CLEP testing and your benefits related to the program, please contact the Testing Center at 803/323-3290 or Macfeat House room 104.