Student Services

The CVPA Student Services office is dedicated to helping students accomplish academic goals by providing Winthrop's College of Visual & Performing Arts undergraduates with information and advisement related to course and program requirements; curricular offerings; and college/university procedures, regulations, and policies. You can review the opportunities and services available to Winthrop students provided by our various departments by following the links on this page. Many answers to your general questions may be found on our website at your convenience, but please visit our office if you need additional assistance. The CVPA Student Services office is committed to helping students live, learn, and lead.


•Advising for Fall 2024 begins March 20, 2024

•Registration for Fall 2024 begins April 3, 2024

•Faculty advisors will contact their advisees to schedule individual advising sessions.



    Anna Fredericks

    Anna Fredericks

    Director, College of Visual and Performing Arts Student Services

    Office: 124 McLaurin
    Phone: 803/323-2465

    Schedule an Appointment
    with Anna Fredericks here!



      •Advising for Fall 2024 begins March 20, 2024

      •Registration for Fall 2024 begins April 3, 2024

      •Faculty advisors will contact their advisees to schedule individual advising sessions.

      University-wide Undergraduate Petition Process

      University Petition Form — to appeal for variations in general education requirements and other university-wide academic regulations

      University Blanket Substitution Form

      Individual Substitution Form


      CVPA Student Incident Report Form

      Schedule Change Form - Add/Drop courses or change to S/U Basis

      Student Complaint Form - College/Department-Level Academic Complaints

      Approval to Transfer Credit Form - This form should be filled out by current Winthrop University College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) majors who plan to transfer credit to Winthrop from another institution; turned in to the CVPA Student Services Office in 124 McLaurin Hall; and completed before you take a course at another institution, to ensure the course will transfer.


      •More forms are available on the Records & Registration website.

        Location: 107 Dinkins Hall
        The AITC is a computer lab for testing in online classes or for classes needing a computer lab for occasional use. Any instructor wishing to use the lab for testing purposes must provide the test monitor. This lab is not staffed by a University College employee. Please contact the University College Dean's office to schedule use of the lab by calling 803/323-3900.

        Academic Success Center

        Phone: 803/323-3929
        Location: 106 Dinkins Hall
        Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
        The Center offers tutoring, online learning assessments, and other forms of academic support.  

        Phone: 803/323-2465
        Location: 124 McLaurin Hall
        Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
        The office provides a variety of academic support services, including clarifying questions about degree requirements, assisting students with the change of major process, and evaluating transfer credit from other institutions.  

        Center for Career Development and Internships

        Phone: 803/323-2141
        Location: 312 Bancroft Hall (temporary location)
        Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday
        Career Development, Service Learning, and Volunteer and Community Service programs are housed in the Center.

        Center for Student Wellness

        Phone: 803/323-2206
        Location: 3rd floor of Joynes Hall
        Hours: Posted on the center's web page
        The center provides individual and group counseling at no charge.

        Math Tutorial Center

        Phone: 803/323-2175
        Location: 271 Bancroft Hall
        Hours: Posted on the door
        The Math Tutorial Center (MTC) is open to students in the following MATH courses: MATH 101, MATH 104, MATH 105, MATH 150, MATH 151, MATH 201, and MATH 291. No appointment is needed.

        Office of Accessibility

        Phone: 803/323-3290
        Location: MacFeat House
        Hours: Posted on the office's web page
        The Office of Accessibility assists students with all types of disabilities, including mobility, hearing and visual impairments, learning disabilities, ADHD, and chronic medical illnesses. The OA Test Center offers secure testing for students with testing accommodations. Information regarding the MAT is also available.

        Writing Center

        Phone: 803/323-2138
        Location: 242 Bancroft Hall
        Hours: Posted on the door of 242 Bancroft and on the Writing Center website 
        The Center offers assistance to students needing help with writing.  

      •There are four departments in the College of Visual & Performing Arts: Design, Fine Arts, Music, and Theatre & Dance.

      •You must earn a "C-" or better in WRIT 101, HMXP 102, CRTW 201 by the time you have completed 75 earned hours.

      •All Winthrop students are required to complete a minimum of 40 hours above 299.

      •PLSC 201 or ECON 103 or HIST 211 must be taken to fulfill Winthrop's Constitutional Requirement. If you take HIST 211 as your Constitution course, you must take an additional 6 credits of approved Social Science. Only PLSC 201 and ECON 103 double count as Social Science and Constitution.

      •ACAD 101 is required for all first time entering freshman.

      •You are required to attend three cultural events for every 20 hours completed at Winthrop, not to exceed 18 events. 

      Major Requirements: Check the Winthrop University Catalog for specific requirements. Please note that "not more than 36 semester hours in any one subject designator may be applied toward the major for a Bachelor of Arts degree. A student may elect to apply up to an additional 6 semester hours in the same subject designator toward general electives, general education distribution requirements, or a minor with the exception of the social sciences minor, unless limited by the major program. 

      •Minor Requirements: Only B.A. degree programs require a minor. B.F.A. programs do not require a minor. Specific requirements for minors are located on pages 135-140 in the 2015-16 Winthrop University Catalog.

      •General Electives: Some majors permit the student to take a large number of electives (e.g. over 30 hours) while other programs have no electives. Please check the Winthrop University Catalog before enrolling for an elective. 


    General Information

    What is Academic Advising?

    Academic advising plays an important role in the faculty-student relationship. In the College of Visual and Performing Arts, it is stressed that an effective advising relationship is based on joint participation from the advisers as well as the students. Advisers assist students in planning a program of study that properly sequences courses and supports the interests and career goals of the student. They offer insights into career opportunities as well as refer students to appropriate campus resources. Advocates for the students, the advisers often provide letters of recommendation for petitions or prospective employers.

    As students, you also have a role in building effective advising relationships. Check the office hours posted and initiate contact with your adviser. Keep appointments as scheduled (or notify the adviser if cancellation is necessary) and be prepared for advising appointments. You should not rely on the advisers to inform you of degree requirements, academic policies, etc. Rather you should know the requirements specific to your program, seeking the adviser's input when clarification is needed.

    The Office of Student Services in the College of Visual and Performing Arts provides the overall direction for the advising process in the College. Students are assigned to advisers in the department of the selected major. If you do not know the name of your adviser, you should check Wingspan or stop by or call your departmental office or Office of Student Services at 803/323-2465.

    To make the most of an advising relationship the student should:

    • Take responsibility for knowing your degree requirements, making course selections, and monitoring progress toward the degree program you have selected.
    • Prepare a trial schedule for the upcoming semester and take a copy with you to the advising session.
    • Develop your social, academic, and career goals and examine how these goals can best be enhanced by the resources of Winthrop University.
    • Maintain personal copies of your records and bring these with you when you see your adviser.
    • Be conscientious and thoughtful. Keep scheduled appointments or call if you need to cancel. Stay long enough to get the help you need, being aware that your adviser is probably busy preparing for class, etc. Learn your adviser's office hours; this would be a good time to see him/her and get quality time.

    An Adviser's role is:

    • To assist students in making appropriate and satisfying decisions regarding academic programs and life/career goals.
    • To assist students in clarifying requirements for their specific degree program.
    • To help foster in each advisee the ability to make informed choices concerning alternatives, limitations, and consequences of academic decisions (selection of courses, major declaration or change, dropping courses, etc.)
    • To know each student well enough to be aware of individual academic situation or educational needs.
    • To help the student to become involved in the total learning experience of Winthrop University by suggesting appropriate involvement in on-campus, off-campus , and experiential opportunities.

    You should contact your adviser at the beginning of the advising period to schedule an appointment for advising. Many advisers will post sign-up sheets outside their offices to allow students to select appointment times. Check regular office hours when you need to schedule an appointment at times other than the advising periods. Be sure and leave a message for your adviser if you are unable to make contact initially.

    In preparation for an advising appointment, you should review your Degree Checklist to determine the courses you want to take, check Wingspan to be sure the courses are offered, plan a trial schedule noting the times and section numbers of courses, and write down any specific questions you may have for your adviser pertaining to your major, possible career path, etc.