Virtual Tour

McLaurin Hall - 1901

1896 Alumni Drive


McLaurin Hall Exterior

McLaurin Hall Exterior


Connected to Tillman Hall by a covered passageway, McLaurin was Winthrop's second residence hall. Originally called South Dormitory, it was renamed in 1925 for Daniel W. McLaurin, charter member of the Board of Trustees who served from 1891-99 and 1903-28. Although primarily a residence hall, McLaurin's third floor extension was used for art instruction and had a darkroom, woodcarving room, design room, and a skylight room for painting. The basement was used for indoor recreation and practicing music. In 1988, the building became home to the visual and performing arts at Winthrop. McLaurin is home to the Edmund D. Lewandowski Student Gallery. 

Interesting Features:

  • Temporary student art projects on the lawn
  • Sweet Dreams commissioned art across Alumni Drive