About Service Learning
Service Learning is a teaching method which combines community service with academic instruction as it focuses on critical, reflecting thinking and civic responsibility. Service learning programs involve students in organized community service that addresses local needs, while developing their academic skills, sense of civic responsibility, and commitment to the community.
Opportunities include service learning courses, international service learning, and individually tailored service learning experiences.
CCE’s Service Learning program makes community based service learning an integral part of students’ education; preparing them to be lifelong learners, leaders in their community, and leaders in their profession. Our office provides:
- Framework and methods to link service with curriculum and future careers.
- Information and resources on community service learning opportunities locally and internationally.
- A maintained list of service learning courses offered by Winthrop University each semester.
- Assistance in the community with the development and enhancement of volunteer and service learning programming.
- Involved and supported faculty who utilize the service learning pedagogy and teach community service learning courses.
Find out more about Service Learning opportunities for students.
Read about the Service Learning services available to faculty.