Winthrop University Home Page
Menu Header

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ questionCan I receive course credit for my military training or military coursework?

FAQ answer Possibly; the process is explained on the Resource Center for Adult Students website.

FAQ question When will I get paid?  

FAQ answer For Ch. 33 students, tuition is paid to the school no earlier than two weeks prior to the first day of the term.

You can have your schedule protected while we are waiting for payment from the VA if the Veterans Benefits Coordinator has an up-to-date Certificate of Eligibility or eBenefits screenshot showing the student's eligibility percentage and number of months of entitlement remaining. To have your schedule protected, students should contact Student Accounts Receivable at 803/323-3377 before the fee payment deadline. Failure to do so will result in the student's classes being dropped.

Chapter 33 book stipends are paid to the student at the beginning of each semester. Depending on when the VA receives/process your enrollment certification, you may not receive your book stipend until after classes start. It is a good idea to make other arrangements to pay for your books and treat this as a reimbursement – just in case it doesn't come in prior to the first day of class.

All other stipends are paid on the first of the month for the previous month. For example, your January stipend will be posted to your account on or around February 1. Keep in mind that you may experience payment delays at the beginning of a semester, especially if you are a new VA student or new to Winthrop.

If you believe your payment is late, call the VA at 888-GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to check the status. Call between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday. You also can submit a question at and click on "Submit a Question".

If you are a Ch. 33 student and have an eBenefits account, you can view certification and payment information there.

FAQ questionHow much will I get paid?  

FAQ answer This information is available in the rate tables on the VA's website.

FAQ question Can I receive VA benefits if I have not declared a major?  

FAQ answer A student cannot be certified beyond his or her sophomore year unless a major is declared. Only "General Education" courses can be certified prior to the declaration of a major.

FAQ question Can I receive VA benefits to take any courses at Winthrop?  

FAQ answer In order for students to receive VA payment for coursework, each registered class must fit into their declared major program. The Winthrop University Catalog is the official list of courses that are covered under VA educational benefits. It is the student's responsibility to make sure that their registered classes meet the VA certification requirements if VA payment is desired. Charges for any courses taken outside of a student's major are the student's responsibility.

For example, a student may have fulfilled all their electives and would like to take an extra gym class. If the class cannot fit into his/her program's requirements, then the Veterans Benefits Coordinator would not be able to certify such a class. The student would then be responsible for payment of that class.

FAQ question I am a Chapter 33 student and I got a letter from the VA saying the school certified $0.00 for tuition and fees for this semester. What does that mean?  

FAQ answer Sometimes the Veterans Benefits Coordinator will start certifying enrollment for an upcoming semester before fees have been put on student accounts. Doing so helps students receive their housing and book stipends in a timely matter. If there are no fees on the student account, we report $0 to the VA and then go back and amend the certification after fees have been put on the accounts.

FAQ question Can I use my VA benefits for summer semester?  

FAQ answer Yes, just keep in mind that these months will count against the overall number of months of entitlement you have. Make sure to submit a copy of your schedule to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator, so that she knows you plan to use your benefits.

studying in the library

© Winthrop University · 701 Oakland Avenue · Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA · 803/323-2211