About Orientation Counselors
The Heart & Soul of TRiO CONNECT
At the heart of TRiO CONNECT are the TRiO Orientation Counselors (OCs). These TRiO student leaders are central to the development of community within the TRiO CONNECT program. Over the course of the 2-day program, OCs facilitate small group discussions and activities to encourage new members to get to know one another and explore expectations of the college experience. Lasting relationships are formed and strong bonds are developed between our OCs and the newest members of the TRiO family.
2016 Important Dates
- February 19-20: Leadership Retreat
- February 26: 5 p.m. DEADLINE to submit application
- March 1: DEADLINE to submit time online for Interview
- March 2-4: Orientation Counselor Interviews
- August 16-19: week of CONNECT Program
- There will be an OC Celebration in the spring for all OCs.
- There will be one mandatory fundraising event for all OCs.
OC Student Directors
Jovanna Orozco and Alexis Pattinson
Your role as an Orientation Counselor:
- Welcome incoming TRiO participants
- Assist students during move-in process; participants move in August 17, 2016 (8 a.m.)
- Facilitate small and large group discussions
- Serve on panel of student leaders
- Help plan events/participate in teambuilding
- Stay connected with your Orientation group throughout their first semester!!
Benefits to this role:
- Move in early; OCs will check-in August 15, 2016
- Meals and housing provided on August 16-18
- Gaining invaluable leadership experience (great on resume!)
- TRiO CONNECT and Student Leader T-shirts (free gifts)
- Strong connections with the TRiO family and staff
Expectations of you:
- Be present and on-time at each day/every event of the program (three days, four nights; overnight stay must be in Rock Hill)
- Attend all mandatory spring events
- Respect and adhere to all policies, deadlines, and timelines set by Student Director
- Positive attitude and able to take instruction well
How to apply:
- You must have a 2.0 or higher GPA when applying to be an Orientation Counselor
- Applications are due on Thursday, February 26th by 5:00pm to Janell's Office
- Participate in an OC interview March 2-4
- Go to the pdf version of the Orientation Counselor Application (pdf - 88 kb) now!
Once your application is received, you will receive an email from the OC Student Directors with an embedded link. Through this link, you will select an interview time that best suits your availability.
- You must submit your interview time by March 1, 2016.
- If you fail to sign up online, then you will not be granted an interview.