Senior Citizens

South Carolina residents who are age 60 or older may attend Winthrop University for credit or non-credit purposes on a "tuition free," space available basis. Senior citizens are responsible for any lab fees associated with courses, additional university fees (such as a parking permit) and for any books/materials required for their coursework. Senior citizens participating in this program will not be able to register for classes until the start of each semester and only enroll in classes where there are open seats available.

There are three different options for taking classes at Winthrop.

  • Degree Seeking:  Taking courses towards earning a specific degree at the University. 
  • Non-Degree Seeking: Taking courses to earn college credit, but not pursuing an awarded degree.
  • Audit: Taking courses without earning college credit. Students who audit will not participate in examinations or graded course assignments.
**Prospective students who have earned a bachelor's degree or higher and will want to take 600-level coursework at any point during their Winthrop career as a non-degree or audit student are encouraged apply through the Graduate School.  

For more information on how to attend Winthrop as a Senior Citizen student, please visit the University College Academic Advising webpage.



    • Immunization

      To avoid a non-refundable $50 fee, you must submit completed immunization information before the first day of classes. Contact Health Services at 803/323-2206 with questions.  

      Submit immunization forms to Center for Student Wellness. All students must provide proof for:

      • Tetanus — Booster within the past 10 years
      • Tuberculosis — Must provide answers to a screening questionnaire and, if required, submit TB test results and/or chest X-ray.
      • MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) — Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must submit proof of immunization (2 doses)
    • E-mail Account

      Set up your e-mail account. Undergraduate students may begin this process at Graduate students may begin this process at the New Graduate Student Checklist. If you have any difficulty, please contact the Help Desk in 15 Tillman.

    • Advising

      If you are a degree seeking student, you must be advised by your official academic advisor prior to the start of the term. Undergraduate degree seeking students will be advised initially during an Orientation session, which you can sign up via Graduate degree seeking students will receive contact information for their advisor in their admissions e-mail.

    • Get a Winthrop ID Card in 1 McBryde Hall

    Register for courses with the Records and Registration staff in 126 Tillman Hall. Students with access may also register via their Wingspan account. If the course you wish to enroll in is full, you may choose an alternate, or contact the Department Chair to discuss an override (degree-seeking students only).

    • You are only permitted to register beginning on the first day of classes (for fall and spring semesters), unless otherwise noted. For summer classes, you may register the week prior to the start of the summer session for which you are registering. Dates may be found through the Academic Calendar.  

    • Audit students, after registering, must complete an Audit Form and submit it to Records and Registration in 126 Tillman by the add/drop deadline for the semester/term in which you are enrolled. Senior citizens do not need to obtain signatures from instructors or department chairs, unless the course is full or has pre-requisites/other restrictions.


    Click here to browse course offerings. 

     Audit Form 

    If a class is online, the location will be labeled as INTR 000. 

    If a class is in a physical classroom, the location will be labeled with the name of the building and a room number. 

    Online Location  In person location