The Winthrop McNair Scholars Program is longer accepting applications for the 2015-16 program year. Look for information on applying for the 2016-17 program year in fall 2016.
All materials must be emailed to email@example.com or delivered to the McNair program office (104 Dinkins Hall, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, 29733).
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Complete applications submitted after the deadline may be considered for the waiting list, but only if there are insufficient applications submitted before the deadline. Information about the program and benefits is included below the application instructions on this page. If you would like to learn more about the program or your eligibility after you have reviewed this website, please contact Dr. Cheryl Fortner-Wood at 803/323-2125 or visit the program office (104 Dinkins Hall).
Are you eligible to be a Winthrop McNair Scholar?
If you are interested in participating in the Winthrop McNair Scholars Program but do not know if you are eligible, complete the online survey, or make an appointment with program staff (803/323-2125) to inquire about your eligibility.
Only apply if you can say "yes" to all of the following.
- I am interested in going to graduate school.
- I am a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or meet another citizenship requirement.*
- I am either or both
- a first generation college student and come from a low-income family OR
- from a group underrepresented in higher education.
- I am available to participate in the McNair Summer Research Internship all day every weekday. The anticipated dates for the 2016 Summer Research Experience are May 11 - July 8.
- I have a GPA of 3.0 or better and am enrolled at a four-year college or university in SC.
- I will have completed my sophomore year (at least 54 credit hours) by the end of the spring after the fall semester in which I will apply.
- I will graduate at least one semester after the next McNair summer research experience.
*Visit the relevant Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) at this link to see the federal eligibility criteria.
To apply, complete Parts 1 and 2 of the application. Digital or hard copies will be accepted.
- Part 1 - Part 1 will be used to establish your eligibility for the program. You must answer the questions and submit the online survey. Print and sign the last page of the survey and include this signed page with your other application materials.
- Part 2 - Part 2 includes the Applicant Form and Recommendation Forms. Follow the directions in the part II Applicant Form. Submit all application materials to the Program office (104 Dinkins Hall, Winthrop University)
- Two Recommendations: Well in advance of the deadline, ask two or more references to complete and submit the recommendation form before 10/23/15.