Winthrop University Home Page
Menu Header

McNair Scholars

Apply Now

The call for applications for the 2017-18 cohort of new Scholars is open. Eligible sophomores, juniors, and seniors who will graduate after August 2018 are encouraged to consider applying. All majors are welcome. Student materials are due by 4:30 pm 10/13 in 104 Dinkins Hall (on Winthrop's Campus). Recommendations are due by close of business 10/20.

Visit the application webpage for more information about eligibility and the application process.

We will hold two information sessions on Winthrop's campus.

  • Tuesday 9/26 in Kinard Auditorium (Room 018), 11:15 am - noon.
  • Thursday 10/5 in Dinkins Auditorium (second floor), 6:00 - 7:00 pm.

For a fun look at what our Scholars and Alumni are doing, visit our latest newsletter. To learn about our Scholars' award winning research, visit our summer research page and  

About the Program 

The Winthrop McNair Scholars Program prepares first generation, low-income, and underrepresented undergraduates to be successful in PhD programs by providing research and other opportunities as well as financial support throughout the graduate admissions process. Winthrop's program includes, but is not limited to, a paid summer research experience, faculty mentoring, workshops, GRE and graduate school application preparation, and travel to present research and explore graduate programs. 

Winthrop’s program is funded by a five-year renewable TRiO grant from the U.S. Department of Education. $232,265 in federal funding is provided each year for programming and materials that will help 30 eligible students prepare for graduate study. This represents approximately 73% of program costs. Winthrop contributes the remaining 27% of the budget with over $85,000 in cash and in-kind matches.

To learn more about the impact of Winthrop's Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program, check out this 2017 article in the Winthrop Magazine


Useful Links

© Winthrop University · 701 Oakland Avenue · Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA · 803/323-2211