Community & Visitors Parents & Families Future Students Current Students Alumni & Friends Faculty & Staff
McNair Scholars
McNair Scholars photo collage

McNair Scholars

Apply Next Fall (2016)

The call for applications for the 2015-16 cohort of new Scholars is closed. All application materials, except recommendations, were due in the program office by 5 pm, Friday, October 16th in order to ensure consideration for the 2015-16 program year. Recommendations were due in the program office by 5 pm, Friday, October 23rd. 

Visit the application webpage for more information on applying next year. For a fun look at what our Scholars and Alumni are doing, visit our latest newsletter. To learn about our 2015 Scholars' award winning summer research projects, visit our summer research page


About the Program

The Winthrop McNair Scholars Program prepares first generation, low-income, and underrepresented undergraduates to be successful in PhD programs by providing research and other opportunities as well as financial support throughout the graduate admissions process. Winthrop's program includes, but is not limited to, a paid summer research experience, faculty mentoring, workshops, GRE and graduate school application preparation, and travel to present research and explore graduate programs. 

Winthrop’s program is funded by a five-year renewable TRiO grant from the U.S. Department of Education. $220,000 in federal funding is provided each year for programming and materials that will help 30 eligible students prepare for graduate study. This represents approximately 72% of program costs. Winthrop contributes the remaining 28% of the budget with $85,000 in cash and in-kind matches.


Dr. Ronald E. McNair Biography

Winthrop McNair GEPA Statement on Equitable Access

Winthrop McNair Graduate Assistantship

Winthrop McNair Graduate Scholarship