Instructional Technology Center
The mission of the Winthrop University, College of Education Instructional Technology Center, is to provide a positive environment that encourages innovation through hands-on experiences using current state of the art technology, and to equip faculty and students with the skills and confidence to adapt quickly and effectively to technology change. The ITC will provide comprehensive training and support to meet state and national technology standards designed to create technologically adept educators and students who are reflective practitioners, change agents, and lifelong learners. The ITC staff will be learners and role models who inspire and guide students and faculty to become inquisitive, open minded learners who solve problems and present research in creative ways.
Technology offers students an avenue to succeed as citizens in a global society in which information is growing at an incredible rate. The use of technology changes the structure of the classroom. In a technology rich, learner centered classroom, the teacher serves as a facilitator of instruction, mentor, and coach. Through technology, faculty and students will have the ability to access a wealth of materials, services, and networks from around the world. The ITC will help faculty cultivate a supportive and collaborative environment for integrating technology as a meaningful and effective part of the educational process by supporting and encouraging the modeling of technology integration in the classroom.
The ITC will support the College of Education faculty and students in the following ways, by:
• Supporting the integration of technology in the teaching and learning environment
• Fostering creativity and competence in the use of technology for productivity and teaching that will increase self-esteem in faculty and students
• Empowering all stakeholders to suggest and effect change, and to know that their opinions are valued
• Researching and securing ongoing funding for new technology
• Providing robust and reliable access to current and emerging technologies and digital resources, with connectivity for all students and faculty, including those with special needs
• Encouraging partnerships and collaboration within the community
• Providing a curriculum framework for using technology in the classroom to address real-world skills and to meet specific learning objectives
• Providing on-going staff development to enable faculty and students to acquire technology competencies through group and individualized experiences
• Providing opportunities for staff to learn how to shift thinking towards becoming a strong facilitator of learning in student centered classrooms.
The ITC offers many services to the College of Education faculty and students as well as surrounding school systems. Services include educational resources such as:
• Library of educational materials
• 11 seat computer lab on the ACC Domain
• Educational journals
• Educational kits that are classroom ready
• Technology equipment checkout for teaching and learning
• Professional development opportunities
• IT support in the COE classrooms and labs
• Assistive Technology materials
• South Carolina K-12 Instructional Materials Public Review site
Other services offered:
• School supply store
• Transfer of VHS to DVD (*copyright rules apply)
• DVD copying (*copyright rules apply)
• Die Cut machine
• Video editing stations
• Color Copies
• Bulletin board paper
Also located in the Instructional Technology Center is the Office of AV Services. This office provides campus-wide assistance and support for AV needs in locations such as McBryde Hall, Tillman Hall, Plowden Auditorium, and other large venues.