Winthrop University Home Page
Menu Header

Cost & Required Proof of Funding for International Students

Tuition and fees for the each academic year are set by Winthrop University's Board of Trustees every July. These figures are based on non-immigrant, non-residency at the University (all F and J students and others). All figures are subject to change. Winthrop's Cashiers Office can provide detailed information on all University fees.

Proof of Funding to Obtain I-20 or DS-2019

International students come to the U.S. on either an F1 or J1 student visa. The financial information below pertains to both F1 and J1 students. In order to be less confusing, F1 students are referenced below. To obtain the F1 visa and study at Winthrop University, students must receive the Form I-20 from the University. In order to receive a Form I-20 from Winthrop University, a student must show access to funds that will cover the international student estimated costs for one academic year.  All schools are required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to make a reasonable estimate of all expenses. This includes tuition, fees, books, supplies, housing and meals, health insurance, and miscellaneous expenditures (clothing, transportation, recreation, etc.).  Winthrop reviews annually the estimated cost for an international student to attend Winthrop on an annual basis. 

A person may show adequate funding from any dependable source including scholarships, sponsoring agencies, personal funds or funds from the applicant’s family or sponsor. 

To apply for the Form I-20 all students must complete and submit the Statement of Financial Responsibility and Affidavit of Support.  The student must also submit an original bank statement or bank letter issued no more than six months before your date of admission to the University showing the amount of money guaranteed. Please contact the International Center for a copy of the Statement of Financial Responsibility and Affidavit of Support.

Please note: Winthrop fees are subject to an increase at the start of each academic year through the action of the Winthrop Board of Trustees.  Winthrop University's Financial Aid Office or Cashier's Office can provide an exact breakdown of the cost per semester for tuition and fees.  The Cashier's Office also provides a breakdown of the costs of the different residence halls and meal plans available at Winthrop.


  • If you receive a scholarship, a graduate associateship, or graduate assistantship from Winthrop University, the value of these awards will be deducted from the amount required to be shown by you or your sponsor for the Form I-20.
  • If your family accompanies you while studying in the United States an additional $5,000 per dependent must be indicated on your financial guarantee.

If you have any questions or concerns about the financial documents required for acquiring the Form I-20 please contact the International Center.

 Small Shield
International Center
701 Oakland Avenue
218 Dinkins Hall
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
803/323-2340 (fax)
E-mail Us
Academic CalendarsCampus Map, pdfAdobe Reader 2Online Gift
© Winthrop University · 701 Oakland Avenue · Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA · 803/323-2211