South Carolina Drivers License
International students are able to apply for a South Carolina driver's license at the Rock Hill DMV Office located at 305 Hands Mill Road. The expiration date of the driver’s license will be determined by the applicant's authorized period of stay in the United States or the expiration date of the applicant's employment authorization document, but will not exceed 5-years.
To apply for a SC driver's license, you must provide the following:
- Proof of Identity including date and place of birth - unexpired foreign passport.
- Current authorization to live, work or study in the U.S. - unexpired or expired visa, valid Form I-20 or valid Form DS-2019.
- Social Security Card or Letter from the Social Security Administration stating that the applicant is not allowed to work in the United States.
- Proof of SC residency - letter from the University stating you are a student and listing your local address.
- Automobile liability insurance information.
To request the letter from the University stating you are a student and listing your local address please complete and submit the International Student Letter Request Form to the International Center.
If you are applying for a driver’s license must also submit a valid driver’s license from your country of origin as proof of prior driving experience. A qualified translator must also translate a driver's license unless an International Driving Permit accompanies the license. If you cannot show proof of prior driving experience, you must first obtain a beginner’s permit and hold it for 180 days before applying for a driver’s license.
Once you have presented acceptable documentation, you are eligible to receive a temporary 60-day paper credential. This paper document will authorize you to drive but along with this paper you must have your passport with you.
Within a short time you should receive your actual driver's license that is small, plastic and has your photo on it. On this card will be listed an expiration date based on the end date of your I-20 or DS-2019.
South Carolina waives the requirement for knowledge and skills testing for first time applicants from those countries that have established a formal agreement with South Carolina, as long as your foreign driver's license has not expired.
At the present time, ONLY the following countries have waiver agreements with South Carolina - France, Germany and Puerto Rico.
Directions to the DMV location at 305 Hands Mill Road in Rock Hill -
- From Tillman Loop, turn left onto Oakland Avenue. Follow Oakland Avenue.
- Turn left onto Ebenezer Road/ SC-274 – 2.8 miles
- Turn left onto Celanese Road/ SC-161/ SC-274. Continue to follow SC-161/ SC-274 – 1.5 miles
- Turn right onto Old York Road/ SC-161 N/ SC-274 N. – 1.3 miles
- Turn right onto Hands Mill Road/ SC-274. Continue to follow SC-274 – 0.3 miles
- End at 305 Hands Mill Hwy Rock Hill, SC 29732-8114
Estimated Time: 14 minutes
Estimated Distance: 6.38 miles
If you have any questions please contact the International Center.