College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, cultural pursuits, or life experiences by earning qualifying scores on any of the many examinations. Computer-based CLEP examinations are administered by appointment¹ only through the Testing Program. As an open CLEP test center, Winthrop University administers all CLEP tests except those requiring essays. For a complete list of available CLEP tests, please visit the official CLEP website.
For Those Seeking Winthrop University Course-Equivalent Credit
Please Note: Winthrop University does not award credit for all of the CLEP examinations that are provided by the Test Center. The university does not require CLEP essay examinations or accept the General Examinations for exemption credit. For a list of tests currently accepted by the University, please see the Tests for Credit at Winthrop University link. The Testing Program makes no recommendations as to test selection. Prior to registering for any CLEP test, please speak with your advisor, Student Services personnel for your major, or department chair regarding intended test.
Candidates seeking course-equivalent credit from Winthrop University must request that official CLEP score reports be sent to Winthrop University. Winthrop University uses the American Council on Education (ACE) score³ on the examinee's official score report to determine whether credit is awarded.
Test credit is applied according to the published policy at the time the exam is administered and not the date the official CLEP score report transcript is received by the university. For updated information regarding this and all other CLEP policies, please review the University catalog section on CLEP.
Registration and Fees
We offer CLEP test administration Monday-Friday year-round by appointment as long as our department is open and space is available.
The current CLEP test fee for most tests is $80.00. An additional non-refundable, non-transferable $40.00 per exam registration fee payable by check or money order to Winthrop University is also required².
*As of January 1, 2014, all persons wishing to take a CLEP test must:
1. Register with CLEP first, where you will receive a voucher number. To register with CLEP visit: http://clep.collegeboard.org/register/exam
2. Complete the CLEP registration form (pdf - 54.85 KB) and submit along with your registration fee to Attn: Coordinator for Testing Program, Health & Counseling Services, 101 Crawford Building, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC 29733. Because appointments will not be scheduled until your registration fee has been received, please allow sufficient time for mail delivery.
3. Contact the Coordinator forTesting Program at Winthrop University to schedule your appointment and provide the voucher number.
Each of these steps must be completed prior to showing up to take your test.
On Test Day
Arrive ten minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, you will not be allowed to take the exam and you will forfeit your registration fee.
- You may reschedule your appointment upon payment of additional registration fee.
Bring two forms of current, appropriate identification.
- The primary ID must be a government-issued photo ID. The ID include the candidate's name, signature, and recognizable photo.
- The secondary ID must contain either a signature or recognizable photo i.e. student ID, military ID or unused primary ID.
- Employee ID and Social Security card are no longer acceptable forms of ID.
Bring a copy of your voucher (registration).
Because temperatures vary in the testing rooms, you may want to dress in layers.
A CLEP examination may not be retaken within a 6-month period. This waiting period provides the student with an opportunity to spend additional time preparing for the exam or the option of taking a classroom course.
You will receive an unofficial score report immediately upon completion of your CLEP exam. A score recipient (college, employer, or certifying agency) that is selected through the software on the day of the exam is sent one time free of charge. Additional CLEP transcripts can be obtained for a fee by contacting College Board/CLEP directly. It will take approximately 7-10 business days from the date of request through College Board/CLEP for the score recipient to receive the transcript.
Requesting Testing Accommodations
To request American with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations, please contact the Coordinator for Testing Program well in advance of the proposed test date. Because the approval process involves the candidate, testing institution, and CLEP personnel, it may take some time to complete the process. Written documentation of no more than five years old must be submitted on official letterhead to the Coordinator.
¹Appointments are not available during midterms, finals or when the department is closed.
²CLEP registration and test fees are subject to change without prior notice.
³ACE scores may change without prior notice.