Post-Graduate Certificate in School Counseling
New program beginning Fall 2014. Apply now!
This program is for candidates who hold a master’s degree in counseling and wish to pursue certification as a school counselor. Upon completion of the program you will be recommended for a school counseling license in both South Carolina and North Carolina.
- Must have graduated from a CACREP accredited program or one that follows the CACREP curriculum within the last 10 years
- Have your transcript reviewed by the Winthrop Counseling Program faculty
- Participate in a personal interview with the counseling faculty
- Send video of a counseling session for review
- Background check
Program Completion Requirements
- Upon acceptance to the program students must create a plan of study
- You will be required to take a minimum of 12-21 hours in addition to the course work already completed during your master’s degree. The required 12 hours include:
CSDV 613 Foundations and Ethical Issues in School Counseling
CSDV 615S School Counseling Program Planning, Consultation & Supervision
CSDV 611 School Counseling Internship I
CSDV 612 School Counseling Internship II
- Passing score on the PRAXIS II Specialty area test for School Counselor
- Additionally, the following 3-9 credit hours will be required only if they were not previously completed during your master’s degree program:
CSDV 622 Counseling Children and Adolescents
CSDV 608 Loss, Grief and Crisis Counseling
CSDV 623 Advanced Counseling Interventions
For additional information contact the program director, Dr. Jennifer Jordan, at email@example.com or 803/323-2456.