Winthrop University: Financial Aid - General Information
Contact Information
Office of Financial Aid
Sykes House
638 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA
803/323-2557 (fax)

Types of Financial Aid

Student Employment

Federal Work-Study Jobs

Non-Federal Campus Jobs

Federal Work-Study Jobs

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides part-time jobs to students with financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Please view a Power Point presentation (pdf - 404 KB) for general information regarding Federal Work-Study student employment.

Priority is given to students with high financial need who submit their FAFSA by November 1 and indicate their interest in work-study on the FAFSA.  Due to limited funding, returning students who previously received work-study cannot be guaranteed work-study funding each year.  Eligible students who do not initially receive a FWS award can ask to be placed on a wait list by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.  Remaining funds, if any, are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to students on the wait list.

Begin the process by completing the FAFSA online.  FWS awards range from $500 to $2,200 a year.  Students must accept or decline the FWS award through Wingspan.

Students are not assigned to FWS jobs on campus.  It is the student's responsibility to secure a FWS position. The Office of Financial Aid maintains an online listing of available FWS positions.

Students must present their FWS supervisor with a Work-Study Approval Form.  Approval forms are provided to students to verify their eligibility in the FWS program.  This form will be e-mailed from the Office of Financial Aid in August.

Students earn an hourly wage in the FWS program.  Wages and work schedule are determined by the hiring department; however, students must be paid at least federal minimum wage. Students are not permitted to work while their classes are in session.  The amount students earn cannot exceed the FWS award.  In the event that a student earns more than the FWS award, the funds earned that exceeded the award amount will be charged to the employing department's budget.  Students are paid bi-monthly.  Students will receive a paper paycheck unless they choose to sign up for direct deposit.  Students should discuss paycheck options with their supervisors.

Non-Federal Campus Jobs

If you do not qualify for Federal Work-Study but are still looking to work-on campus, the Center for Career and Civic Engagement (CCE) can help. The CCE posts all non-federal Work-Study positions though an online jobsite, EAGLElink. As a Winthrop student, you automatically have an account, but if you need help logging in or forgot your password, check CCE's EAGLElink guide (pdf - 366 KB) for assistance.

You can also schedule an appointment with a CCE staff member who can assist you with searching and applying for part-time jobs by calling 803-323-2141.

Last Updated: 6/18/19