Winthrop University: Facilities Management - Work Place Injuries: Employees
Contact Information
Facilities Management
349 Columbia Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29733
803/323-4295 (Fax)

Work Place Injuries


Reporting Workplace Injuries and Workers' Compensation for Employees

All employees of the university are protected while on duty by a Workers' Compensation Program administered by the State Accident Fund (SAF).  Medical case management is provided by Compendium Services., Inc., through a contractual agreement with SAF.  Workers' compensation claims are filed electronically by Compendium Services in response to the submission of a First Report of Injury.

Questions regarding the workers' compensation plan or reporting procedures should be directed to Katharyne Tedford, Workers' Compensation Administrator, at 803/323-2392 or

When an injury or illness is determined by SAF to be work-related, the employee's medical expenses including prescription drugs and mileage for doctor's visits in excess of 10 miles per round-trip may be paid. An employee may also be eligible for temporary payroll benefits if they become disable due to a work-related injury or illness and cannot work.

Reporting Minor Injuries or Work-Related Illnesses

  1. Any employee who sustains even a minor injury while on duty or develops a work-related illness must immediately report the injury or illness to their supervisor.
  2. When medical treatment is needed, the supervisor must contact Compendium Services at 877/709-2667 to file a First Report of Injury and to receive authorization for treatment.  All non-emergency medical treatment must be pre-approved by Compendium Services and is provided by:
    Occumed at Riverview Medical Center
    1393 Celanese Road
    Rock Hill, SC 29732
  3. The supervisor also must report the injury or illness to Katharyne Tedford, Workers' Compensation Administrator at 803-323/2392.

Employees should report all injuries and work-related illnesses to their supervisor no matter how minor they may seem at the time. An employee who fails to report an injury or work-related illness may risk being denied benefits by SAF should medical treatment be needed at a later time.

Medical Emergencies

  1. In the event of a serious or life-threatening injury that requires immediate or emergency medical attention, call 9-911 for an emergency operator or call Winthrop University Campus Police at 803/323-3333.  Compendium Services and the Campus Administrator should be contacted as soon as the situation allows.
  2. When an injured employee is transported to an emergency treatment facility for care, the supervisor or a designated university representative should accompany them to the facility and remain until the employee has been admitted or released.
  3. The supervisor or designated representative should notify the treating facility that workers' compensation may be filed for the injured employee and provide the following insurance information, if needed:

For treatment authorization and case management:

Compendium Services, Inc.
Phone: 877/709-2667
Fax: 877/710-2667

For billing and payment information:

State Accident Fund
P.O. Box 102100
Columbia, SC 29221-5000
Phone: 800/521-6576

For verification of employment and insurance coverage:

Winthrop University       
Environmental Health and Safety                          
Katharyne Tedford
Phone: 803/323-2392
Fax: 803/323-2426

Winthrop University
Human Resources
Phone: 803/323-2273

Last Updated: 8/1/19