Undergraduate Admission to Teacher Education
For additional information regarding requirements for the 2015-16 catalog program, please refer to the 2015-16 Undergraduate Course Catalog.
Please do not submit application until ALL requirements have been met.
All students seeking to complete a degree which leads to teacher certification, must be formally admitted to the Teacher Education Program in the College of Education. Formal admission occurs when students have 45 hours and have met all other requirements.
Students can apply for admission once they have:
- Attended an information session on admission to Teacher Education Program. Information sessions are offered 4 times in the fall and 4 times in the spring.
- Completed a minimum of 45 semester hours, 15 of which must be completed at Winthrop.
- Maintained a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 for coursework completed at Winthrop.
- Completed the following core courses with a grade of “C” or better in each course: EDUC 101, EDUC 200,and EDCO 201 or EDCO 202 or equivalents.
- Achieve satisfactory field evaluations in EDUC 200, and EDCO 201 or EDCO 202, or equivalents.
- The PRAXIS Core Academic Skills for Educators Test is required for admission to the Teacher Education Program, unless the student can verify a minimum score of 1100 on the SAT, 1650 on the SAT I, or 24 on the ACT. Passing scores from PRAXIS I tests taken before August 31, 2014 will be accepted as well.
When the above requirements are met,students should submit information to the on-line Teacher Education Program Application System on the SAS site that includes:
- a disclosure statement concerning criminal/unethical conduct including any judicial or disciplinary action taken while enrolled at Winthrop University or another institution of higher education,
- evidence of 25 hours of recent supervised experience working with the age-level student for which licensure is sought. See Youth Experience Requirement (pdf - 25 kb).
- an admission essay that documents the student’s growth toward meeting the College of Education Unit Standards. Students are required to provide examples of how their experiences in general education, educational core courses, and field experiences have prepared them to be well-educated teacher candidates who are committed to and capable of working with diverse and challenging students. See Essay Writing Prompt (pdf - 20 kb). See Essay Rubric (pdf - 76 kb).
7. Once an application is submitted,students must receive approval from the following:
- the Director of Student Academic Services
- an admission committee comprised of faculty from the Teacher Education Program
- the Dean of Education or designee
Students wishing to apply for admission to Teacher Education may do so (online only) by visiting: http://www.winthrop.edu/teachered.
* A Teacher Education program fee of $250 will be billed to the candidate upon
acceptance. You will be invited to a formal Induction Ceremony once you are fully admitted to the Teacher Education program. The Induction Ceremony is held once a year, during the fall semester.