The Lynn Harand Outstanding Advisor Award
Each year at the Opening Faculty Assembly of the College, the Dean presents The Lynn Harand Outstanding Advisor Award to a faculty member who has demonstrated exemplary advising skills during the past year. All nominations are student-initiated; forms are available throughout the year in 106 Kinard, online from this website, and in all Arts and Sciences departmental offices.
Advising strengths may include, but are not necessarily limited to the areas listed below:
- Availability to advisees
- Mastery of degree requirements
- Preparation for advising sessions
- Frequency of contact with advisees
- Use of appropriate information sources
- Referral to campus services when necessary
- Willingness to listen and ability to understand
- Readiness to act as an advocate when appropriate
- Knowledge of University regulations, policies and procedures
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Ability to engage in developmental advising (career and life planning) versus simply course scheduling
Go to the nomination form (pdf).
View a list of winners.