Funding The Winthrop Poll
The primary research endeavor of the Social & Behavioral Research Lab is The Winthrop Poll. The inaugural Winthrop Poll was in 2006. From the spring 2007 until spring 2009, South Carolina Educational Television (ETV) and Winthrop partnered to create the Winthrop/ETV Poll initiative. During these years, ETV contributed toward some of the expenses associated with The Winthrop Poll. Since fall 2009, The Winthrop Poll has been partially underwritten by The John C. West Forum on Politics and Policy. West Forum underwriting accounts for roughly 8% of the cost of each poll (poll costs can vary as a result of differing target populations; for example, a survey of the entire South will generate more in long distance charges than a survey of South Carolina). The remainder of the costs per poll is provided by Winthrop University. Funding for The Winthrop Poll comes from no other sources.
In addition to The Winthrop Poll, the SBRL does take on external contracts and grants. The mission of the SBRL focuses on serving the public. As such, most contracts are geared toward serving public or non-profit entities that could benefit in planning or policy making from scientifically sound research, but cannot afford to secure the services of private sector survey research firms. However, the SBRL has a strict policy of never taking as clients candidates for political office, political parties, partisan groups, or entities whose primary purpose is partisan in any way.
*United Way of York County (SC) (with Winthrop Department of Social Work): Human Needs Assessment for York County, SC
* Anderson County (SC): Citizen Attitudes on Law Enforcement Funding In Anderson County, SC
* Rock Hill-Fort Mill Area Transportation Study Group: Commuter Attitudes Study
* Rock Hill School District Three: Study of Community Attitudes on Alcohol Use Among Adolescents
* City of Rock Hill: several projects ranging from Program Evaluation of the Weed & Seed Policing Program to focus group recruitment
* Partnership for a Greater Greenwood County & Economic Alliance: Citizen Attitudes on Special Projects Funding in Greenwood County, SC
* York Co. (SC) Regional Chamber of Commerce and Catawba Council of Governments: Business Environment Study
* Bureau of Long Term Care Services (with Winthrop Department of Social Work): Studies related to program evaluation of the Community Long Term Care Program including Provider Surveys, Recipient Surveys, and Imminent Retiree Surveys
* Community Builders Working Group (coalition of city and county governments as well as key employers in York Co., SC): Profiling Key Community Influencers
* SC Commission on Higher Education (grant administered by ETV): College Access Challenge Poll – Identifying Barriers to Access to Higher Education in SC
* Rowan Co. (NC) United Way and Centralina Council of Governments: Human Needs Assessment for Rowan County, NC
Hiring the Social & Behavioral Research Lab at Winthrop University
If you are interested in learning how SBRL research can help you -- and you do not represent a candidate for political office, political party, partisan group, or entity whose primary purpose is partisan in nature -- please contact the Director of the Social & Behavioral Research Lab, Dr. Scott Huffmon, to discuss your project.