Community & Visitors Parents & Families Future Students Current Students Alumni & Friends Faculty & Staff
John C. West Forum on Politics and Policy


Frequently Asked Questions

This document is intended to answer students' questions about the primary election and the process of registering to vote.

FAQ question When is the next opportunity to vote in South Carolina?

FAQ answer South Carolina will hold a general election on November 4, 2014. Voters in South Carolina will elect two US Senators; seven members of the US House of Representatives; all statewide elected officials, such as Governor; and  more.

FAQ question What is the deadline to register to vote?

FAQ answer Deadlines vary by state. In South Carolina, the deadline is 30 days prior to the election. Thus the deadline is October 4, 2014 for the November 4, 2014 general election.

FAQ question Who is eligible to register to vote in the November 4, 2014 election?

FAQ answer  Any United States citizen who will be 18 by November 4, 2014 may register to vote in the November election. All eligible voters must be residents of the South Carolina county and precinct in which they are registered. Other exemptions are explained on the South Carolina State Election Commission website.  

FAQ question  I'm a Winthrop student. How and where can I register to vote?

FAQ answer  Students who are eligible to vote may register in York County, if they consider York County their permanent residence, or may choose to register at another location, such as their parents' home.

South Carolina Voter Registration: Students who wish to register to vote in South Carolina may register to vote on-line. This form may be used in any county. Applicants must have a South Carolina Driver's License or state-issued ID and enter this number into the on-line form.

Alternatively, on may complete a voter registration paper form and mail it to the relevant county board of elections. Visit the South Carolina State Election Commission website for contact information for each county in South Carolina.

The address of the York County Board of Elections is:
York County Board of Voter Registration:
E. C. Black Building
13 South Congress Street
York SC 29745

FAQ question  I don't live in South Carolina. How can I register to vote in my home state?

FAQ answer  You need to consult your state election agency for specific details. To find your state election agency, please consult the Election Assistance Commission website.

The United States Election Assistance Commission, a federal government agency, has developed a national voter registration form. This form may be used in every state except North Dakota and Wyoming; this form may be used under limited circumstances in New Hampshire. The form and detailed instructions are available online.

Please note that registration forms and deadlines vary by state. Information listed here is only relevant to South Carolina and/or York County.

FAQ question  I think I registered to vote, but my voter registration card hasn't arrived. What can I do?

FAQ answer  If you registered to vote in South Carolina, you may check your voter registration online. Students who are registered to vote in another state should check with their state's election agency.

FAQ question  Where should I register to vote?

FAQ answer  Winthrop students are eligible to register to vote at any address that they consider their permanent residence. That may be your parent's house, your residence hall room on campus, or elsewhere.

FAQ question  I moved since the last election. Do I need to re-register?

FAQ answer  Yes. Please complete a new voter registration form and return it to the appropriate county board of elections, before the October 4, 2014 deadline. If you miss this deadline, you may still cast a provisional ballot at your old precinct; however, you vote may not be counted. For out of state students: deadlines vary by state. Please consult with your state's election agency for details.

FAQ question  What is the South Carolina Voter ID Law?

FAQ answer  Beginning January 1, 2013, all voters must show one of the following photo IDs at their polling places: SC Driver's License, ID Card issued by the SC Department of Motor Vehicles, SC Voter Registration Card with a photo on it, Federal Military ID, or US Passport. For more information, please see SC Votes page.  

FAQ question Does South Carolina allow early voting?

FAQ answer  Some states, including North Carolina, allow early voting, whereby voters may cast their ballots at designated locations for days or weeks before Election Day. South Carolina does NOT allow early voting. If a voter cannot get to the polls on Election Day, s/he must request an absentee ballot.

FAQ question  How can I get an absentee ballot?

FAQ answer  In South Carolina, you need to contact your local county election commission and request the ballot. The ballot will be mailed to you, and you will complete it and return it, also by mail. Your ballot must arrive at the county election commission before closing on election day, so plan accordingly. Faxed or emailed ballots are not be accepted. For more information, contact the South Carolina Election Commission.

FAQ question Where do I go to vote on Election Day?

FAQ answer Your voting location is based upon the precinct in which you are registered. Unless you vote absentee, you must travel to the polling place designated for your precinct. In South Carolina, the name of your precinct is listed on your voter registration card. Polling locations are available from your county's election commission and are published widely in local media.  

FAQ question  What do I need to take to the polls on Election Day?

FAQ answer  Under current South Carolina law, a voter needs to present a valid South Carolina Driver's License, or a valid South Carolina ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, or any of the above IDs mentioned under the SC Voter ID Law. Please visit this website for election day details. Requirements in other states may vary. Please consult your state's election agency for details.

Disclaimer: The Winthrop University John C. West Forum on Politics and Policy believes this information is current and factually correct. However, it does not constitute legal advice, nor does it supersede any information provided by state or local election officials.