Image 01 Image 02 Image 03 Image 04 Image 05 Image 06
Virtual Tour
Building Tour header photo
Rutledge Building - 1905
1898 Alumni Drive
wireless symbol
Rutledge Building 2
Rutledge Building 3Rutledge Building 4Rutledge Building 1Rutledge Building 2

For years Rutledge was known as Carnegie Library, named for industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie who provided funds for its construction. It was renovated into a classroom building when Dacus Library was constructed in 1969. That same year, the building was renamed in honor of Mai Rutledge Smith Johnson, wife of founding president David Bancroft Johnson and descendant of South Carolina's first governor, Edward Rutledge, who signed the Declaration of Independence. A 1990 renovation recaptured the splendor of the building's Classical Revival style, which incorporates features of French Imperial design.

Interesting Features:

WHAT'S HERE
  • Fine arts and design
  • instructional spaces
  • Elizabeth Dunlap Patrick Gallery
  • Rutledge Gallery
  • Interior design CAD lab
  • Two graphic design open access and instructional Mac labs
Printable Campus MapCampus MapDirections to Campus