Winthrop University Masthead
Search the site or search for people
Virtual Tour
Building Tour header photo
Roddey Hall - 1920
1916 Alumni Drive
Roddey Apartments 1a
Roddey Apartments 2Roddey Apartments 1Roddey Apartments 1a

Connected to Johnson and Rutledge by covered passageways, Roddey Hall was originally a residence hall named West Hall. The building was renamed in 1926 to honor William Joseph Roddey, Board of Trustee member who served from 1893-45. The Rock Hill industrialist played a prominent role in bringing Winthrop to Rock Hill. Roddey was the first Winthrop facility built in the Neo-Georgian style, setting an architectural trend in campus buildings that would last for more than 45 years. Interior space was converted to efficiency apartments in 1975 and renovated in 1989 to house primarily married couples, single parents, graduate and international students. In fall 2010, the apartments were converted to house two or four students depending on room size.

Interesting Features:

  • Courtyard and fountain
  • Residence hall for students/families
Printable Campus MapCampus MapDirections to Campus
Winthrop Home Page