This eight-story, high-rise residence hall was named for former S.C. Governor John Peter Richardson Jr., who served the state from 1886-90. He secured the establishment of Winthrop Training School scholarships by each South Carolina county. He also recommended that Winthrop became a state college for women, an idea that became a reality in 1891. A longtime residence hall for men, Richardson Hall now includes two floors for women.