News & Events
View our most recent newsletter, Undergraduate Research Update, Summer 2016 (pdf - 500 KB)
- Congratulations to Davis Plasko (Mentor: Dr. Jay Hanna), for his Outstanding Presentation in Photocatalysis Award, received at the October 2016 Gulf Coast Undergraduate Research Symposium at Rice University.
- High praise for Winthrop University McNair Scholars: Three of 17 2016 Summer Scholars captured awards at the annual SAEOPP National McNair Research Symposium in June 2016. Another five Scholars were competitively selected to participate in REU programs at other institutions during Summer 2016. Congratulations to all Scholars and their mentors!
- Fifty-eight Winthrop students pursued research in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, mathematics, and geology during the 2016 Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE).
- Ten students from Winthrop and York Tech were interns in the 2016 WISE (Winthrop Initiative for STEM Educators) Program.
- Over 100 Winthrop undergraduates presented research or creative work at conferences during 2015-2016; at least 38 students won awards for their work. Way to go!
- Join our Facebook page and/or follow us on Twitter for updates on conferences, research opportunities, and special events!
Events and Deadlines
- Now through March 1, 2017: Please submit your work for Undergraduate Scholarship and Creative Activity 2017 and the 3rd annual Showcase of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors (SOURCE). We look forward to highlighting students' scholarly and creative work in the printed compilation (the annual "abstract book") and to having many of those students present and perform their work at SOURCE. Please see the Abstract Books and SOURCE pages for more information.
- December 2, 2016, was the deadline to submit abstracts for NCUR (National Conference on Undergraduate Research), which will be held at the University of Memphis on April 6-8, 2017. Please note that students seeking travel support will need to complete the standard travel request paperwork by the February 2017 deadline; students and mentors will also be responsible for making most or all of their travel arrangements.
- Thursday, January 19, 2017, is the deadline to apply for 2017 summer internships in the Winthrop Initiative for STEM Educators (WISE) Program. Please visit the WISE page via the Quick Link at right for more information.
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017, is the abstract-submission deadline for the 90th Annual Meeting of the South Carolina Academy of Science, which will be held on Saturday, March 25, 2017, at Coastal Carolina University.
- Friday, February 3, 2017, is the deadline to apply for undergraduate research travel funds for travel during the Spring 2017 semester. Please visit the Student Travel Funding page for more information.
- Thursday, February 9, 2017, is the deadline to apply for WISE Scholarships. Please visit the WISE page via the Quick Link at right for more information.