Who is an Authorized User?
Any person that a student has authorized to have access to view their student account and/or make payments online on their behalf.
How do I become an Authorized User or make someone an Authorized User?
- Log into your Account Summary and Payment Gateway via Wingspan.
- Click on Authorized Users at the top of the page.
- Click Add an Authorized User.
- Enter the email address of the person you wish to authorize. Decide whether you want them to be able to view your payment history then click Add User.
- Read the Account Agreement and terms and if you agree, click I Agree and continue.
- Your Authorized User will receive 2 emails:
- One email with their username
- Another email with their temporary password
Authorized User Instructions
- You will receive 2 emails. The first email contains confirmation of your username. The second email contains your temporary password.
- Log into the Payment Gateway using the information provided. You may also access the payment gateway via the "Make a Payment" button on the menu to the right.
- Enter your username and temporary password.
- Once you have submitted your information you will be prompted to enter a new password and input personal information.
- Now, you have the ability to see the balance and make payments on behalf of your student.
*You may also access the payment gateway via the "Make a Payment" button on the menu to the right.
What information can be accessed by an Authorized User?
Students have the option to allow their Authorized User access to view the entire account activity and balance, or allow them “payment only” access through the payment gateway. Student grades and other academic records are not included.
I pay the bill. Why can’t I call to discuss my student’s account?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that gives parents the right to have access to their children’s educational records, the right to have the records amended and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the educational records. However, when a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfers from the parent to the student. This means that any record, be it academic, financial or judicial, will not be released to anyone other than the student without prior written permission or Authorized User access granted from the student (completed through the Account Summary and Payment Gateway). When a student makes a parent an Authorized User, they are allowing them this access to their financial student account and/or to make payments on their behalf. More information about FERPA can be found on the Records and Registration website.
Can my student give me permission to discuss his/her student account?
Students who wish to give permission to a third party to discuss their student account may do so by filling out the Permission to Release Student Records form on the Records and Registration website. By filling out this form, students can determine which aspects of their educational record can be released to a third party as well as determine who those parties may be. Students do NOT have to submit this form for a parent or third party to be an authorized user for payment purposes as instructed above.