Intramural Sports Official
Be a Part of Our Team!
The objective of the Intramural Sports Program at Winthrop University is to provide our students an opportunity to recreate in an organized, spirited, and sportsmanlike manner.
The intramural sports official plays a critical role in activity or game supervision and administration. An official is under fire and "on the line" when he/she puts on the whistle and official shirt. It takes a special person to accept this role and to go the extra steps to assure a quality officiated contest for the participants.
Each Intramural Official is a vital part of our program and essential to the quality program we offer at Winthrop University. We provide high quality instruction for our officials in the rules, mechanics, and techniques of officiating each sport. This service is free to the prospective official.
Benefits of Officiating Intramurals at Winthrop University:
- Paid for every game you work.
- Paid comprehensive training in all league sports offered in the intramural program.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Participation in the employee incentive program.
- The opportunity to advance and become an intramural supervisor.
- You can still participate in all intramural events.
- Fun and exciting working atmosphere.
- Gain valuable leadership and teamwork skills.
- Connect with other students on campus.
Expectations of Our Intramural Officials:
- Attend all pre-season training clinics.
- Study the rules of the game -- be an expert!
- Report to work on time and be ready to officiate.
- Work hard and make the effort to improve your officiating each time you work.
- Maintain a proper attitude, appearance, condition, and integrity towards your officiating.
- Develop good judgment and consistency in your management of the game.
- Always give 100% to the participants, program, and yourself in an effort to be the best official you can be.
If you are interested in becoming an official, stop by room 211 of the West Center and see Neil Ostlund to apply.
Intramural Sports Application (pdf)